Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
TheRock

Networking Win2k to Win98 comps! HELP

When I had Win98 used to have 3 computers in my house all networked together via HUB. The reason for the hub was to support additional users on my Cable Modem. I would have 3 computers running to my HUB, and my cable modem runing to the HUB also with a twisted RJ-45, and this would enable 3 of my computers to access the internet on different IP's of their own. I then got a 4th computer and decided only to split the connection off one of my more powerful, main computer (the one that im on right now). Therefore sharing its IP and bandwidth. I then upgraded THIS computer to Win2k, and next thing you know, I am able to share the internet connection perfectly with the other computer, but there is a problem. The other 2 computers attached to my HUB are now not able to access the network but still have their own internet access, and my new 4th one is also in win98, and is also unable to access my main computers shared resources since its running win2k. I am not behind any firewall or proxy since I am using a program named Sygate to share my internet connection. Sygate does not need firewalls or proxies and I dont know how to fix my problem. I just know it might have something to do with the protection level Win2k has in comparison to Win98. The really weird thing is, my main computer is still able to ONLY access my 4th computer's (the one which is sharing the MAIN computer's IP) resources such as data on the HD and such.

------------------

-------------------------

AMD K6-2 500mhz

SOYO SY-5EMA+ v1.1 M/B

256mb SDRAM

Viper v770 TNT2 Ultra

Monster MX300 Soundcard

20gig UDMA66 5400rpm

10gig UDMA33 5400rpm

Same probleme the W2000 comp has access to the files on the W98s (2comps) read and write but not vice versa????????''

Geosnow

>Same probleme the W2000 comp has access to the files on the W98s (2comps) read and write but not vice versa????????''<

This won't help the first poster, but it may help you. Goto Control Panel>Users & Passwords>Advanced>Advanced. Click on Users>Guest. Uncheck the, "Account is disabled" box, then reboot.

------------------

"Being married to a programmer is like owning a cat: You talk to it but you're never really sure if it hears you, much less comprehends what you say."

I still find that also running IPX/SPX along with TCP/IP makes sharing files in my local network alot easier.

@DeadCats

I have tried this and now I am able to connect to the w2k comp but there are no files viewable, though i did the fileshare on the w2k comp.

btw thx

Geosnow

@kgeissler

I use the netbios to get some securety from the net. We're on cable and I think ipx is not that save, but I not sure about that. I use the following instuktions: http://cable-dsl.home.att.net/

thx

Geosnow

How many network cards do you have in your computer that is sharing your internet connection?

The way I have mine setup is this: I have one network card connect to my cable modem and one to my home network. Just bind the IPX/SPX protocol to the home network network card.