Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
GHz

HELP! File Sharing Network Error

I have a simple network setup at home. My gaming PC is connected to my server PC via a 10mbit hub. The server has control of the internet connection, which it shares with the gaming PC with ICS.

I want to share a folder to another computer on the internet. The gaming PC has no problem accessing the server PC's shares (or vice versa) using a login and password. However for some reason, when a computer on the internet tries to access the server's share, it gets an error "A duplicate name already exists on the network" or something like that. I tried using every login and password I have setup for the server, and each time I get the same error. Can someone explain what I'm doing wrong here?

Thanks in advance.

------------------

GHz

Hi,

the problem is this, the Server, in this case a simple firewall, protects the folder from being accessed, check out this scheme:

(share [Win98]) <- (server (WinNT)) ! Inet

If you want to share folder this way, you need a DNS and a router, much complicated stuff, basically, create another folder on your server and copy your stuff there.

-

cap0ne

There is no problem with communication between the server and client PC (local). The problem is when a computer on the internet (not local) tries to access a share on the server (the computer with the connection to the internet).

------------------

GHz