Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Absolute

Why wont this work?

Alright you leet networkers i got something for you to think about consider this,,

I have 2 win98 machines. One is connected to the cabel modem and has 2 nics (1 for net 1 for lan) both are also connected to a hub. I set the network up with tcp/ip and ipx only, and the lan itself works great I am able to share files and gaming between the two. I used sygate on both (server on server client on client) and the sygates found each other but the client will NOT see the net. What am I forgetting to do? Oh yea i did try proxy from analogx and with that the client was able to see the web but stuff like quake 3 and irc could not. At first I though it was that the problem was the gatway and set it up for the lan ip of the server but to no avail. Can some1 please help!

I think the computers that are not directly connect to the net, get a bogus IP just so they can see the web to do mail and such.

I don't think Quake can translate the bogus IP to recieve the packets back.

hi,

the reason thing like IRC and other's dont work over proxies, is due to incorrect port settings, for example, with AnalogX Proxy server, the server for WWW is 6588, make sure you set all ports as needed to connect with specific apps.

Also, to play games over a proxy, the proxy must be well configured, and AnalogX is not something you want to use to do that, it's simply for sharring a connection.

-

cap0ne

In addition, some proxy software will not support gaming across them. My friend uses winroute in the same configuration that you are mentioning and game out through the server to the internet. In addition, he can port forward from the server to his main PC and host UT and Q3 servers from said main PC. He had Win98 on his PC and NT 4.0 on his server.

------------------

Regards,

clutch