Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Absolute

Alright then lets make it simple

Two computers both win98, One cabel modem, One hub, two nicks in server, one in client

The question is. What are the exact settings to use in windows networking control panel to make the client see the internet(along with the ohter computer) perfectally, and what exact software needs to be run. (sorry bout all this I have been trying to get this to work for over a year and still no luck) Please im desperate...

from my clan's pvt msg board:

OK, I suggest you keep this message for future refernces. First, make sure you have a system for use for routing, NAT (network address translation), and DHCP (Dynamic host Configuration Protocol) available. This system should have 2 nics installed. It can be used as a games server also if you want. Install Windows NT 4 or 2k as a stand alone server. Install WINS, DNS (if necessary). Do not install DHCP Server. Install SP6a (for nt4 if using it). Set up one nic as the "external network" nic. Set it up as normal w/ IP, DNS, Gateway etc as supplied from you IP. Set up the second nic for the internal network. Use 192.168.10.1/255.255.255.0 as the IP/Subnet. No gateway is needed here. Download WINROUTE PRO from www.winroute.com. Install Winroute. Set up the "external" to perform NAT on the traffic going through it but to exclude itself from NAT. Set up Winroutes DHCP server. Set the DNS to the ISP dns, Gateway to 192.168.10.1 ("internal" nic), Wins to 192.168.10.1, Remove lease time if not wanted. set scope to start at 192.168.10.100 to .200. On all client workstations, set for DHCP, use DHCP for Wins, not gateway, no DNS. Finally, read Winroutes directions before asking me for help. The ip address configuration is what I persnally prefer to use. For Nics, use do not use 2 of the same model, it leads to confusion. I use a DLink 10BaseT for the "external" and a DLink 10/100 for Internal. Also, if all the machine is doing is NAT/DHCP (thats all the machine at blue's did) and possible SMTP (Winroute has a SMTP service in it), a low end machine can be used. The machine used at Blue's LAN was a P60 (yes, 60mhz) w/ 48 megs of ram.

Another option:

Make sure machine with two nics is running Win98SE. One NIC is connected to the cable modem with default settings. Check to make sure you can see the internet and everything is working fine. Talk to your ISP if it isn't.

The other NIC connects directly to the hub (or connects directly to the other machine with a crossover cable). Under Add/Remove Programs, make sure Internet Connection Sharing is installed. Run the Internet Connection Wizard and answer simple questions, do what it says, reboot.

Connect second machine to hub (network needs only default settings) if not using crossover cable mentioned above. Use floppy created by Internet Connection Wizard as previously instructed by Internet Connection Wizard, then reboot.

Enjoy.

:}

PS Under W2K it is as easy as checking one box. Win98ME should be just as easy as W2K.