Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Kyosho46vr

This My Home Network.........is it Safe?

I have 2 machines networked, 1 win98 and 1 win2000. They file and print share, also I have a DSL connection into the hub. My second drive(storage) is shared(win2000).

Both drives are shared on the win98 machine but pass-worded. I set the permissions in win2000 as the win98 computer name and its own pass word. At work (where I am now) we also have dsl(same provider)I can "find" both of my machines at home, i can access files on the win98 machine with the pass-word. However when I try to access my win2000

machine the resource = (IP Number)PC$, you cant change this, and then askes for as pass word, nothing, even the pass-word works here.

So the way I understand this is I change the computers name at work to match, say my win98 at home and the I could access, or add in permissions works computer name and a pass-word.

Any Thoughts?

TIA NED

u should be able to access it using \\ip\drive$

ie \\10.0.0.1\c$

In 7.43 minutes i was able to access your complete network. you are NOT safe. If i had been able to distroy your machine.

I suggest that you get 3 linksys routers and put them in an autonomonus lan/wan configruation. This is what i do, but i have 8 routers and 2 bridges. My ip is completly firewalled and i also added a desniffer device that hacks people that are trying to hack me and puts a virus on their master boot record and completly screws them over. I have never been hacked. MUAHAHAHHAHAH.

Or he could go get the Neatgear RT 311 Gateway Router with firewall protection. Damn lot cheaper that 3 linksys routers!

Or you could connect your DSL with a second nic, then you should turn off all bindings to that nic except TCP/IP. In the TCP/IP properties go to advanced and in the WINS tab choose the "Disable NetBios over TCP/IP. This is not as good as a full firewall but it is a lot better then what you have.

Yeah, above i was totaly joking...

You Should only get one linksys router.

Well he was asking a perfectly legit question, and you just made yourself look pretty stupid with your post. I'm use to seeing 12 YO acting like l33t h4ck0>< he might not be. Something to think about.