Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Cordless

NAT / IP Routing

Hi peeps - maybe someone can help me out here with an "idiots guide"

preferable to Support@RKimTan.co.uk

I have a Win2k Adv Server 10.10.1.1 255.0.0.0 connected to the www by a v90 modem (soon to be adsl) this also acts as my DHCP and DNS server.

my clients are win98 and obtain addresses from the server in the range 10.10.1.3 to 10.10.1.255

basically I want to be able to get the clients browsing the net - ICS is out of the question since it assigns the addy's 192.168.0.1 etc and it doesn;t work with DNS and DHCP servers anyway - so I'm assuming I need to set up either NAT or IP Routing - does anyone know how to do this - I don't particualry want a dial demand interface - I want to be able to connect the server manually and then let the clients browse

TIA

Kim

actually looking to do it using Windows 2000 Routing and Remote Access - I'm sure this is possible. Yes?

It should be possible. Ive seen it done on NT every day and have helped people with it myself. Im unsure of the total details but heres how it should work. You have 2 NICs... the inside NIC (LAN) and the outside NIC (WAN or connection to xDSL) Depending on whether your ISP had you set up with a Dynamic IP or a Static IP, you would set the outside NIC accordingly. Set the inside NIC with the Static IP of the DHCP server, you've alreasy set the DHCP server pool, and you've got your LAN. Under Admin Apps, theres remote access and routing, which I beleive does the same job that IP routing does in NT. I havent played around with it beause of my setup but It should be possible to enable IP forwarding through there, set the gateway through DHCP of all the workstations to the inside NICs IP, set the inside NICs gateway to the outside NICs IP, and have the outside NICs IP set to your default gateway assigned by our ISP. This should enable the packets passed from the workstations to do a massage game of trade off right through to the ISP, where its sent back with the info requested to the said workstation. A little confusing but if these concepts arent clear, Im wondering what someone would be doing with win2k Advanced server. smile

Greybear

cheers greybear - I understand the concepts p[erfectly - have just had a little trouble deploying it

is this type of situaiton possible with a modem on a dynamic IP connection??

thanks

Sorry, Ive been away. smile

Yes, it should be perfectly possible. If you have the server connect and have the workstations go through NAT, yes. It shouldnt matter if its a dedicated line (T-1, xDSL, ISDN, etc.) or a modem as long as the connection is there. The main problem is the setup of routing and remote access, (which I havent played with, but I know it would work, thats its primary purpose). I have heard that if you check the box marked "enable IP forwarding" in NT server, thats about it(Again, I dont know for sure,) And win2k will be diffrent. But your question was should it work... and to take all of my long winded answers out of it and get to the point: Yes.

Now as for the NAT, Hmmmm. Thats where Im lost. Ive worked with NAT but to tell you the truth, I dont know f Server has NAT capabilities, or where they would be. Id imagine it would, so if you know, tell me!

Greybear

I was trying to set up NAT on my machine awhile back (win2k Advanced Server) and for the life of me I couldn't get it to work. Found myself looking at routing tables and trying to figure out addresses for gateways and such. I followed the Windows help file, but that didn't work (surprise surprise). However, one thing Win2k has that NT doesn't is Internet connection Sharing (ICS). Win98 has it too, but it works much better in 2k. I'd recommend this for a simple network like the one you described. Using Help for setting that up is much easier and actually works.

Sorry guys you cannot simply route to do what you are doing. NAT rewrites packets so they are "legal" on the internet. If you route a fake address you will be able to send stuff out but you will never get anything sent back to the machine that sent it. Windows NT didn't do nat with the routing you had to add 3rd party software to do NAT. I don't see why their isn't an option to do ICS (nat) with a nic in windows 2k. It is obviosly available since it is used for dialup sharing.