Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
biaachmonkie

How do I create a public share on win2K?

I want to make a public share, I do not want to have to set up a user account on the Win2K for every one that will have access to it. This is a peer network, workgroup, running a mix of Win2K/NT4/95/98. I have tried giving permissions to guest, everyone (only give access to "everyone" on with a acount on the local system). I have been searching for a few days trying to figure this out, Anyone have any good networking site?

By default, the "guest" account is disabled on W2K - enabling it will allow you to create public shares.

The are many potential security problems with doing this (discussed extensively elsewhere on this forum) so be careful.

Ok.. I enabled the guest account... setup a new share gave gave permissions only to guest... my win98 systems can't access it, Access is Denied. Now I assume that I have to log into the win98 systems a "guest" right... well that defeats the purpose... I want to have a totally public share that anyone can access, like in win98... I also want to be able to have shares that only a few people have access to, i.e. setup an account and only fo rhtem on the local win2K system... Is this something that is impossible to do on win2K?