Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Arin

linksys router (possable firewall problem) cant get into nap

I have dsl connected to my linksys dsl router. well when i am in aim and i try to send talk or im immages or files to my friend it dosent work. it gives me something saying that we may be on different firewalls, but i dident put down a proxy server for a firewall. anways in napster i cant log on. it never ever works. NEVER. it is not that it is crouded cause my friend on a fiftysix kb modem can get in. What is going on!

------------------

Athalon 500

196mb Ram

3D prophet ddr-dvi geforce

SB Live! sound card.

biostar m7mka mobo

20 gig maxtor and 3.5 gig fireball

32x tosheba, and adaptec scsi mitsuia cdr 2x4x

ms internet keyboard pro

ms intellimouse explorer

640k DSL on wintell modem with linksys dsl router

100mbit dlink nic w/wol

You have a port issue. your router is acting as a partial firewall by having ports closed by default. Contact the maker of the router or whoever sold you the router and ask them about the problem. Most likly NAT related. They should be able to help you get into the routers OS or software and open the ports youre trying to access. Heads up though. Have a list of ports beforehand, because nothings worse than getting a call from someone telling you they need to open some ports and getting them in there, giving the command, saying "ok, type in the port here" and they say "uhhhhhh.. I dont know it."

Greybear

yo, on my router i can specify ip addresses and ports for different services such as telnet and ftp... stuff like that. but anways, do you knwo what port i would need to set for napster?

Napster can be set for any port in the preferences.... they recommend 6697 or 6699. 6697 seems to give me better results....