Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ThC 129

Can't see computers in my network

I have a wired problem i cant see any computers besides mine in my network places but yet the drive i have mapped connects fine. Any one know how to get the network computers to show up?

yep - go to the "entire network icon"

then click "entire contents" in the left pane of the screen.

click the "ms windows network" icon

select your domain and it should list your computers

I have put a shortcut to my domain on my desktop

No you don't understand. They arent showing up anyplace. None of the workgroups on the network are showing up in the ENTIRE NETWORK thing

No ... THC129, You don't understand. How could anyone understand, with the info (or should I say - lack of info) you posted?

How are you configured (protocols, Domain, Workgroup, etc.) Where you able to see the other computers to make your drive mapping to begin with, or did you map it via the Command Line, or What ?? ... If you search for the computers do they show up ? Give us something to work with here Bubba !

I will figure it out. I think it has to do with a program or something i installed. I will eventually fix it or when i get the time figure out whats causing the exact problem.

To get "Network Neighbourhood" working, you must:

1. Ensure that all machines are in the same workgroup.

2. Install NetBEUI on each machine, in addition to TCP/IP

Enjoy.

------------------

SuperMicro P6DBS (dual UW-SCSI) BIOS 2.2, 2*Celery 300a @ 450Mhz, 384MB PC100 RAM

SCSI-A=4.3Gb+9Gb, SCSI-B=Tosh32x CD-ROM, Yamaha4416 CD-RW, Iomega ZIP100, IDE1=4.3Gb

IBM EtherJet 10/100 NIC PCI + Nortel ADSL "modem"

Matrox G400 DH 32Mb AGP + Quantum3D Voodoo2 SLI PCI (CL TNT1 AGP on a shelf)

SoundBlaster Live PCI (not Value)

Win2K build 2195 Retail (not 120-day eval)

odd because I didnt have any of those installed before and i could see the workgroups fine.

Ah, but have you started using ICS? I did, and that's how I fixed browsing the workgroups.

NetBEUI is a broadcast-based protocol, that's why Yuppiescum recommended it. MS TCP/IP will send NetBIOS info on top of TCP/IP, but it isn't as great for browsing as NetBEUI in a MS-based workgroup (unless you have a WINS box, then TCP/IP browsing is great). If you have 3 machines in a given peer-to-peer network, one machine will be name "Browse Master". This is the senior-most machine on the network. This is determined by OS version and time on the network (Windows NT is over Win9X, a Win98 box that has been booted for 5 hrs. is over a Win98 box that has been up for 2 hrs., etc). If you boot-up a Win2K box on a Win98 network, it will force an "election". It basically states that "I am more senior than you, therefore I am the browse master". However, the Win2K box may take anywhere from 15min to an hour to get recieve all the broadcasts on the network to build a browse list. Now, what this does for you is that when you click on "Network Neighborhood", you are requesting the list from the browse master. Now, if you are on the Win2K box just when it boots and you try to browse the network...

Well, I think you get the point smile. I hope this helps.

------------------

Regards,

clutch