Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Joel

Assining Real IP's to Network Clients

Hey everybody, Ive got a NT4.0 server box with 2 NICs,

one internal 192.168.10.* sub 255.255.255.0

one external DSL line NIC xxx.xxx.248.82 sub 255.255.255.240.

I need to assign a few of the internal clients real (and static) IP addresses so that they can be accessed through VPN. Microsoft says that i should set up a second hub for the DSL and plug the clients who need to be accessed into that hub along with the second nic and the dsl. I am fairly sure that this is not necessary but I'd really like to get more oppinions on the matter before i go out and buy another hub. If anybody knows please post it on this message board. Thank you very much!

Are you using the NT server as a router? If that's the case then you can use IP Forwarding to let the LAN clients go through the NT box. What is you VPN solution? Is it software or hardware? Documentation on that may help you further.

------------------

Regards,

clutch

If anyone is curious how i finally accomplished this, I went out and got a Netgear FS108 switch plugged the second nic of the server and the dsl router into that one along with all of the other clients that i wanted to give real IP address to and biggity bam, it works like a charm.