Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Neirret

Win2K and Win98 not Talking Nice

Ok here we go, 4 pc's 2 Win2k and 2 Win98...

Browsing the network all pcs are seen on all pcs.

Win2k pcs can access all pcs on the network.

Both win98 pc can access one of the win2k pcs but when trying to open other win2k pc gets the following error...

\\{pcname) is not accessible. This Device does not exist on the network.

Now of course it exists on the network the the win98 pc can both Ping and trace to the win2k pc and they can see it in the Network Browse, but click the little icon and boom goes the error.

checked every bloody setting I can between the 2 win2k units, everything appears to be the same.

What am I missing??

Please any Ideas here :o)

Thanks Chris

is full duplex enabled (don't ask how, i can't remember where the setting is, i'll look though)?

Full Duplex is in the advanced properties of the Network adapter...access it through:

COMPS NEAR ME props>LAN props>CONFIGURE Properties...or SYSTEM>HARDWARE>DEVICE MAN

ok update time...

Network card is KTI KF230-TX 10/100 fast Ethernet

went to the Win2K pc that the win98's CANT access and played with the speed settings here are the results...

Half 10 and Half 100 - Original Problem

Full 10 - Now says the Network Cable is unpluged (its not)

Full 100 - Loose Ping from win98 to it and from Network Browse get \\(pcname) is not Accessilbe. THe computer or share name could not be found. Make sure you typed it correctly, and try again.

You have to love good O'le Billy boy on this one, I CLICK an Icon in the Browse and it tells me I typed it wrong ROFL ;(

Anyway as you can see is all cases no result, it was set to Auto Detect in the first place. confused

Back to the drawing board frown

Is this just a TCP/IP network.

If it is the fastest fix is to put IPX with netbios support on all machines or netbui as Microsoft networking has never worked very well with just tcpip.

Putting the extra protocols will mean there is extra network traffic but this shouldn't be a problem with a small network.

Dumb question for ya, is the subnet mask the same on all the machines? Also, I would set all the NICs to autodetect as 9x doesn't support fast ethernet (this is according to MS, and yes I know that many people have 9x boxes using 100Mbps setups cause I am one of them :)) and forcing the issue makes things worse most of the time. And personally, on a small scale network like that I like to use NetBEUI (but I game a lot, so that rarely happens).

------------------

Regards,

clutch

The subnet masks are used by the computer to determine if it's a local computer your connecting with or a remote. IE. if your IP is 216.123.123.12 It's a Class C. Default Sub is 255.255.255.0 so anything in 216.123.123.* is local and anything is remote going to the default gateway... hope that answers and not confuses =)

------------------

Volitaire

A+, MCSE, MCP+I, ACT

Yep, that sounds about right smile. I usually run 192.168.1.x for small networks with a 255.255.255.0 mask. I recommend this setup for small networks like your own as it's easier to keep track of. At home I have my NT 4.0 Server acting as DHCP with WINS to keep the machines under control while giving all my boxes the gateway and DNS numbers. This way I can just plug in anything that's setup for DHCP and not have to worry about configuration. In your setup I would start from 192.168.1.1 and go from there. BTW, it's customary to have the router/proxy box set to the lowest numbers (i.e. 192.168.1.1) and servers set to higher numbers (i.e. 192.168.1.99). But you can do whatever u like. laugh

------------------

Regards,

clutch

Well my network here at the house is 10 Pc's...I am running the entire internal on the 192.168.1.x with the 255.255.255.000 Sub....and it is all controlled by a DHCP server.

So Back to the drwing board again...

BTW....this pc worked on the network fine till I upgraded from win98 to win2k pro.

Just some more info to keep you boggled as much as I.

I'm having the same problem with my machines...i cant access my win 98 machine from my win 2000 pro machine....when i click on the name in computers near me, i get the "is not accessible" error or "the path was not found"....kinda weird cuz the computer name is there and i have a whole drive shared on it...lemme know if you guys have any ideas

double check the user name on the 98 box trying to connect to the win2k box that seems to not be there and make sure you have given that (win98 box) an account on the win2k box with proper permissions to access what you trying to share.. also win98 is very flakey about reconnecting to machines that drop off and come back on the network (ie rebooting/enabling-disabling the connection)

Hope this helps