Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
FrogMaster

Need help to set up ADSL connection in W2K

Hi guys!

I have just subscribed to ADSL service with my telco op and isp.

The connection works great in Win98 after a very quick and simple set-up (just create a new connection after installing VPN service).

My problem is that I am unable to get it working under W2K. I must have tried all possible configurations but I cannot connect to my ISP.

Has anybody already set up an ADSL connection in W2K?

Here are a few details:

- modem : Alcatel 1000 HighSpeed modem

- modem IP address : 10.0.0.138 (default)

- my ADSL login looks like : yyy@xxx.zzz

- my user name looks like : yyy

- isp server name looks like xxx.zzz

- my password looks like : abcdefgh

- Nic card is standard 10/100 Realtek

- isp service type is VPN PPT

- nic card seems to see the modem attached to it (connection icon in the taskbar)

Alcatel's doc is great for Win9x and NT but is no help for W2K.

I must have missed something.

Has someone a clue?

I have a simaler setup, but no VPN. It is set up like a regular nic on a LAN and it works great. It even does internet sharing for my whole family. Does you ISP require VPN? If so, then your setup is different then mine, of not, that could be the problem because that looks like the only difference between yours and mine.

Thanks GeOph.

I'll try to configure a new setup from scratch without VPN service, when I'm back home after work.

Maybe just installing the modem as any other stuff showing an IP address to my home network will do the trick.

My final purpose is to share this speedy connection between all the machines we have got here (fraggin' fests with low ping, he he... ).

More news later smile

If anybody else has some thoughts on this topic, tips are welcome. It seems that ADSL is developping fast now and it may be of great interest for many people to learn more about it.

Still cannot connect under W2K!!! :(( , with or without VPN.

GeOph, would you post your step by step procedure to create a new connection through this @\#*$£§ modem? The one which works for you so that I have a reference?

I am posting from Win98 frown which my ADSL modem seems to love!!

My DSL is an external and just plugs into a nic in my computer. I just set up the nic using the static IP and gateway that my ISP gave me. Really no more to it then that.

Thanks GeOph.

Maybe I am too far minded and make things more complicated than they are.

I'll try again tonight after another call to my isp's hotline. They must think I am dumb ... could be right ... It's the first time I do not succed to have something working in W2K frown

Thx GeOph!

It works now and I share the connections through a hub. The problem was to configure properly both the local area connection AND the VPN connection so that they talk each other.

smilesmilesmilesmile