Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Chemical

Network software licence check - Please suggest

Sorry for the ignorance, but I do not have very much experience with networking, so bare with me please.

I have a advanced numerical simulation package that is locally installed on the PC in my office. This software is licence protected. It verifies the user quotta by invoking a network check. The check is performed by evaluating the licencing agreement coded in the administration software. This software is invoked each time the software is loaded. Further, each IP address check is recorded and looged on first instalation (all users must belong to the group). The server computer can be any PC attached to the network, however, it can not be changed after the licencing agreement is made. Further, no hardware can be changed in the PC either. These are used as checks I guess. However, any other PC can have the software installed as long as it can see the server PC fir the licence check.

The PC in my office and at home both have W2K Prof installed.

So, this is what I would like to be able to do:

Run the software from my home.

Is this possible, if so, what is required. Any suggestions on how this can be accomplished would be most helpful.

you need to have access to the server at work with the lic check software from your home PC. either a dial up direct or VPN using the internet. talk to your network admin.

Ok then, if I create (?) a VPN with the PC at work can I assign an IP address that has the same first 3 numbers as the computers on the network at work? This is required by the licence agreement. The network Adm. is not very helpful because they do not allow outside penetration of the network. What about this PCAnywhere software? This should work, if I run the software remotely, but what about the performance. Any ideas?

Thanks

well if you admin dont want it to happen it aint gonna.