Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ThC 129

Did M$ forget about SP2 or what??

Anyone heard anything on SP2 for W2k?? I mean this was supposed to be out like a month ago or more. Though I did find a RC of SP2 on m3dzone.com if anyone is interested.

I am using that RC of SP2 and the only thing that I have seen changed is that it broke the authentication of Outlook Web Access in Exchange 5.5. I have only used it for a few days though, so I am still checking for any improvements.

------------------

Regards,

clutch

I expected it to be out about 2 months ago. I did use RC 2.52 from M3DZone and the only real thing that changed was that I got random INACCESIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE crap occasionally. Was annoying. I would rather have SP2 late than buggy however.

------------------

Windows 2000 Service Pack 1

P3 800EB

Abit VH6(Pro133A)

192MB PC133

SB Live!

Asus V7700 Geforce2 GTS

3Com EtherLink III ISA

Hi, according to my sources it is due out around June time, but then knowing MS that might be moved on....

Chris

M$ wants this release to be perfect because the release of NT 4 SP2 was totally *** and caused a ton of problems. June is just ridiculous. Almost a year between service packs is stupid.

------------------

Windows 2000 Service Pack 1

P3 800EB

Abit VH6(Pro133A)

320MB PC133

SB Live!

Asus V7700 Geforce2 GTS

3Com EtherLink III ISA

Not really.

All the critical updates are released as and when they are needed.

SP6 for NT4 was a major disaster, pulled within 48hrs and SP6a released soon after.

I'm quite happy to wait a year between SP's, means the release should be stable.

[This message has been edited by BladeRunner (edited 23 March 2001).]

Hmm...a crashing service pack or a stable service pack. After ME, I'd think MS would try even harder to keep Win2k trouble free as possible. The way people whine about SP1, maybe MS heard that and wanted you all to shut up. I dont know what problems you all have with it, but I dont have any. And also, for the record, Ive had no problems with Via chipsets. Right now unless ALi or SiS can make a good chipset for power users, Via's the only way to go, until the 760 is on boards. Better yet wait for the 760MP instead...especially when Tyan puts one out.

Sorry, off the topic. I just want people to shut up about Via sucks, blah,blah, SP1 sucks, boohoo...GET OVER IT!

MS will probably ditch the idea of bringing out SP2 when XP comes out. I hate the idea of such a good OS like W2K being replaced so quickly by another OS. NT was around for ages.

------------------

XP may be the replacement for Win2k but trust me on this one, Win2k development will not stop.

Many companies adopted Win2k at quite high cost, licenses and time.

There is no way they will be upgrading to WinXP unless it was more or less free.

Companies work on a 3-4 year turn around, not 1-2 years.

Development for Win2k will continue, as will the SP's.

Honestly who here isn't happy with Windows 2000? It seems like they just released it and now it's already being pushed aside for a new even more bloated O/S. I don't want or need XP and I guess I don't see very much enthusiasm for it either. I wish Microsoft would just stick to what consumers want which is stability.

Im not even sure if I'll go to SP2 really. Im running SP1 w/o a hitch.

Win2k right out of the box is the best OS thus far.

I seriously hope developement doesn't stop. If it does they will be doing exactly what apple did to themselves years ago.

I'm actually upset that 2K is being replaced so quickly as well. I just upgraded recently and I'm starting to get everything to work the way it is suppose to. If dev does stop 2k will be the last OS purchase I make from M$ as it will be the last straw for me. I think that 2K is alot more stable then NT was and really see no need to replace it. XP is not my cup. I have run it on a few machines that I have around for non-production testing. I have to say I'm not impressed at all. Other then a few silly little features and some new skins I dont see a whole lot of reasons for me to upgrade. on the other hand I think that XP hit it's target market right on the nose People that want something to replace the bastard child that is referred to as ME. I think that it is great for games it is alot more stable then any 9x variation. It also is good for your typical home user that is only interested in using the PC for browsing. As far as from my perspective as an admin I dont like it and won't be switching anytime soon.

*****edit*****

Oh ya and M$ better get their a$$ on it and come out with sp2

[This message has been edited by Moniker (edited 28 March 2001).]

er...I'm just after seeing a headline on the main page that talks about what SP3(???) will fix with an ETA of (possibly) July? Have I missed somethin...I thought we were all still waiting on SP2?

XP is a bloaty piece of crap, as will be Office XP, and with all this activation deactivation authentication crap and the crap about crappy Outlook XP not handling exe attachments and Windows XP not supporting USB 2.0, Microsoft are going ****ing insane. Windows 2000 is brilliant, XP is going to be a nightmare for anyone with a smidgen of computer knowledge, having to download patches and tweaks and fixes and cracks to get past all this "User Friendly" shite, I don't want some OS that has a wizard for wizard (Windows will now run the Internet Connection Wizard Wizard, to Wizzify the wizzbang of the omniweb.) I know how to manually set up connections, I don't need this User friendly crud. Windows XP has detected you have moved the mouse, Windows will now launch the interactive multimedia training session on how to use a mouse, please insert Windows XP CD12. CRUD.

Looks like Sp2 has about 5 days till release,,but,,,seems it may be delayed. grrrr

Ive been using XP since the 1st pre-beta build came out and I have never had a better computing experience. And to call me a "dumb home user" (not saying you did but most people put XP users in this catagory) is wrong, Ive been using Computers since DOS 6.2 and Windows 3.1, and currently am seeking a degree in MIS and run my own computer bizz on the side. That being said I find that XP is by far the best windows to date, I have never found a better OS to use and has all the multimedia enchancments XP has. As for it being 'dumbed down' XP is very powerful you just need to look beyond the surface, features like IIS 6, IE 6, improved application compatablity, driver rollback, easier to upgrade drivers and things like that. As for activation that is g*y. Otherwise i find it to be the best windows yet.

To be honest, I have not personally used XP or "Whistler" (maybe you can furnish me with a copy?), but from all the reviews I have read, and using things like MSN explorer and IE6, the two products that are to XP what IE4 was to 98, (do you rememeber what happened to 95 when you installed IE4!!!) it just seems ridiculously user friendly, and a WINNT directory closing on a gigabyte in size? I have a windows 95 machine across the hall and it has a windows directory 75Mb in size. BLOAT. I am just a bit angry at the way it's all gone Seattle Coffee House en vogue crap. Have you installed MSN Explorer, and listened to the Corporate sounding soft dulcet tones of the female introducer "You and MSN, day one..." OMG it's so crap.

That said, on the day I get XP, I will undoubtedly be on here detracting all of my above statements.

Oh, and sorry, didn't mean to call you personally a Dumb home user, (I don't think anyone discussing NT based OS's in here is dumb), sorry if it came across like that.

Oh no I didnt mean you did. I even put in parenthasis that I didnt mean it like you did, just some people not you but a lot of people do come across as just saying that as for furnishing you a copy ICQ me or e-mail me and i will see what i can do for ya.

Im kinda curious about XP, but from what Ive read, I have no compelling reason, or need to jump to it. Win2k is the best OS Ive used, and will continue to use for a while, because the only things I havent run are DOS games.

Things are running pretty smoothly under Win2k.

I have this friend who has had hell running 98, but since he's got a Radeon, he'd suffer even more under Win2k. The Radeon is a great card, but ATI is killing it with the drivers. frown

Oh, BTW, I believe that a Beta copy( not a War3z, but straight from MS) is $20.

I cant wait to test it out when it comes in. hehe

see on my lower end system PIII450@504/256ram whistler runs better than 2k does at least it seems faster. When i get my T-bird 1.33/266 this week i probably wont notice the difference in boot times and things like that but, the thing i like the most about Whistler besides the UI is some of the power features they have put in like integrated burning, and how you have the option to show icon's in groups (like all your .txt files in a group your .bat files in a another or sort by name,date, ect), and Driver rollback is nice too. As for USB 2.0 support I agree with the point in not supporting it because as of right now it isnt finalised or really that standardised so no reason putting in support for something they might have to totally revamp later. I do have to admit that since i started using Whistler that 2k has become better but i just like the way whistler works there is so much stuff in it that i find to help me get to places easier or do things easier. Im a power user that likes the ability to do things easier and deploy things easier that way it makes my job easier. Even though the UI looks childish don't let XP fool you it is VERY powerful its just made so that instead of taking 5 steps to do things it takes 2 or 3.

I urge anyone that can to get a copy of XP and try it out, at worst if you dont like it you can kill it off.