Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bennybone

Tweaking the page file... Question for you!

Ok I am reading the OS tweaks off of 3dSpotlight website and I have a question regarding Initial and Max Pagefile settings...

First and foremost I am tweaking the registry because I am trying to get my system to work properly, I have setup another thread on this forum regarding the problem that I am having when downloading files (off of cable modem and maxing out my bandwith) and playing MP3 files... It studders often and I cant figure out why. My system should have more than enough processing power and Ram and I dont recall having these problems in 98SE.

Ok so I have enabled ATA 66 and setup everything possible EXCLUDING setting a value for my pagefile. Lastnight while playing UT on a server with about 16 other people the game would studder hard and I would get killed during this time. I was highly frustrated that the tweaks didnt solve the problem...

MY QUESTION is in reference to the contents of this link:

http://www.3dspotlight.com/tweaks/memory-win2k/memory-4.shtml

I have performed the steps neccesary and my calculations reveal that I "should" set my initial page file to 11 megs and my max page file size to "double that amount just in case"... ISNT THIS RATHER LOW COMPARED WITH THE DEFAULT OF 384 for initial and 768 for max???

Your suggestions and thoughts are greatly appreciated.

System Info]

P-III 600 EB (somehow running at 676 @ 150 FSB wink ) BTW the system still studdered at 133 FSB which is default for the processor.

256 Megs of Crucial CAS 2

32 Meg Geforce 2 GTS (leadtek)

Detonator 6.5 and Direct X 8.0a

10 Gig 7200 RPM Maxtor Ata-66 HD

SB LIve Value

Linksys Ether PCI Combo card (this card I bought in 1997 with a network kit for Duke3d)

Toshiba PCX1100U cable modem

300 watt power supply and ample cooling

Winamp for MP3 playback

HEY I JUST THOUGHT OF SOMETHING...

Since the default speed of my CPU is 133 FSB that equates to a slightly higher speed for PCI devices... Is it possible that the age of my network card makes it "unable" to sustain optimal performance at a higher (more taxing) speed. The problem DOES NOT become worse at 150 FSB ~ 37.XX MHz PCI speed... So this makes me think that its not a possible cause...

SORRY TO BE SO LONG WINDED BUT I FIGURE MORE INFORMATION IS BETTER THEN LESS!

its a great link

[This message has been edited by EddiE314 (edited 26 March 2001).]