Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bennybone

Win2k + Soundblaster + NIC + ACPI = studdering

I just did a fresh install of Win 2k and I have the most current drivers for the system all the way around. ACPI is enabled and the soundcard and NIC are sharing IRQ 9.

I was listening to MP3's and downloading some at the same time (pushing the modem very hard) and randomly the system will studder and it last about 2 secs and then continues to go about its business... Wouldnt bother me except for the fact that it does it quite often.

Does the same thing during all my online games... Causes frags that I shouldnt be giving up 8)

So your thought and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

BTW it NEVER did this in 98SE... confused

P-III 600EB @ 676 MHz

256 megs of Crucial Cas 2 Ram

10 gig ATA 66 7200 hard drive

Linksys Ethernet PCI/Lan combo card

Sound Blaster Live VALUE

Leadtek Geforce 2 GTS 32 megs

Charter @ home cable.

Also flash to lastest mobo bios and use newer drivers for NIC/Sound. If that doesn't work try moving to different PCI slot or reinstalling 2k without ACPI.

Eddie,

Already running the 4.29 4 in 1's

Dos,

Most recent Bios is installed and running...

What merit do you give to the comment;

"Making your PC a standard machine actually does more harm then letting ACPI take care of the IRQs"

I have frequently read that ACPI is benificial for Win2k users and that when you choose to make your PC a "standard" setup it may not be using the full resource allocation benefits of Win2k...

Just want to get yours or anyone elses insight on that matter.

Well lets say that I change the card to another slot, that isnt going to cause conflicts elsewhere is it? Or is that why we "play the game"... Because nobody truely knows what Win2k will decide to do!

I just dont want to put the card in another slot and have Win2k keep it on Irq 9... What do you think? I wont have to reinstall the drivers will I?

[This message has been edited by Bennybone (edited 20 March 2001).]

ACPI allows use of sleep and standby modes that have been defined by Microsoft as not appropriate or useful for desktop use. That was reading made a long time ago and I have used normal mode ever since. The 2-3 seconds slowdown and stuttering due to ACPI is very troublesome.

What are your mouse drivers? That is the single most important factor if you wish to move to standard configuration without reinstalling. The process of recovering mouse and keybowrd control after a quick switch to standard computer altough a bit involved is well documentd by Microsoft.

Summary of ACPI:

http://www.vaio.sony-europe.com/facts/technology/acpi/info.htm

APM Support for Windows 2000 Professional:

http://www.microsoft.com/hwdev/onnow/apm.htm

No Keyboard or Mouse After Installing Logitech 9.0 Mouseware Drivers on Windows 2000: http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/...H&SPR=MSALL

The change from ACPI to Standard computer or the reverse can be made in a few minutes by up[censored] the driver in Device Manager, Computer. Remove the Logitech mouse filters before doimg so or the change will leave you without mouse and keyboard.

Try first to go to Control Panel, Power Management and disable APM from there.

Well it has been quite awhile since I have looked at this topic... Acutally what I ended up doing was reverting back to Win98. I had no jittering problems while in that OS. Yesterday I installed Win2k in "standard PC" mode and setup the internet and lo and behold the problems reappeared. This is a full 3 - 4 months later. Just goes to show that history repeats itself.

So here I am once again in Windows2k with the same equipment and the same problem. All newer drivers installed and still get the soundcard jitters and system hangs (3 secs long, 10 secs apart ONLY WHEN DOWNLOADING) Also I noticed that when webpages load it will pause for a split second.

I am now in a dual boot config so I went to 98 and opened 11 Windows Explorer pages, 15 Internet explorer pages, played an mp3 and downloaded 3 seperate files at the same time and the system never once paused for any amount of time.

WHAT GIVES! frown

ANy new ideas besides trying to setup the PC as Standard PC....

dude that is fuct i have 2 network cards 2 raid cards and 2 video cards and sound card and the mp3s never skip a beat and they are sharing irqs all over the place. I would say get a different netowork card cause u probly wanna keep that soundblaster in there. But the problem may be related to the soundblaster live cause i have heard of all kinds of whack issues with those especially in win2k

Your not the first person to tell me to try another NIC card. I just so happen to have a "Realtek Fast blah blah blah" NIC card in the wings... I will try that. Also the install tech broke my soundcard recently and so I MAY be getting a new soundcard. If not they are going to replace it with a Live VAlue MP3, but if they dont replace it and just give me the money then I will probably get the Hercules XP card.

I will try the new NIC card and let you know if that does anything but I would have to think not...

Just FYI-

Windows 98 fastest SUSTAINED download speed is 348 kb/sec and that is with www.speedguide.com registry patches installed.

Windows2k fastest SUSTAINED download speed is 584 kb/sec and that is WITHOUT any tweaking.

YOU THINK THE FASTER BANDWITH IS THE PROBLEM?

You were talking about a modem. What is it? If it is a SW modem that would explain all your troubles. ACPI does not really have anything to do with normal operation of your machine it only screws up when you are going to standby/hibernate or coming back. So I do not go to standby or hibernate and me and w2k are as happy as any couple could be!

PS. If it is not the modem than there is only your NIC left. as they have suggested earlier try changing it. configure your network protocols properly so it doesn't look for DHCP etc. which i presume you do not have one.

It was the network card!!! I guess that Linksys's technology is not able to withstand the test of time.

I bought the network card in 1995 to play Duke Nukem 3d over a network between two computers... I loved that network card. It accepted either type of network connection and up until Windows 2000 it performed quite admirably.

So 6 years later the end of its reign hath come and it is being replaced by a newer younger faster NIC card.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

laughlaugh