Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Degenerate

PCTel Modem with 2.6.0 Kernel

Hi all (first timer here) smile

I've downloaded and compiled the shiny-new 2.6.0 stable kernel. It works like a charm, except for my modem. I have a PCTel HSP56 Micromodem that won't work in any way with this new kernel. It worked perfectly under 2.4.22 (the last kernel I had installed) with the last PCTel Linux drivers around (0.9.6). But now with all the changes of the new kernel, it won't compile. These are the last lines of the error msg I get with 'make':

----------------------------------------------------------------

ptmodule.c: In function `Pctel_module_init':

ptmodule.c:19: warning: `MOD_INC_USE_COUNT' is deprecated (declared at /usr/src/linux/include/linux/module.h:482)

ptmodule.c: In function `Pctel_module_free':

ptmodule.c:24: warning: `MOD_DEC_USE_COUNT' is deprecated (declared at /usr/src/linux/include/linux/module.h:494)

ptmodule.c: In function `Pctel_module_is_free':

ptmodule.c:29: `MOD_IN_USE' undeclared (first use in this function)

ptmodule.c:29: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once

ptmodule.c:29: for each function it appears in.)

make[2]: *** [ptmodule.o] Error 1

make[2]: Leaving directory `/downloads/pctel-0.9.6/src/module'

make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1

make[1]: Leaving directory `/downloads/pctel-0.9.6/src'

make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1

----------------------------------------------------------------

If there's any help available, please tell me. This is the only thing preventing me from using Linux again full-time. Thanks in advance!

Linux 2.6 has changed significantly what modules need to do when loaded/unloaded, and to a certain extent how serial drivers operate (mostly to do with timers/queues from what I've learnt so far), because of this the pctel drivers you have there, will not work with 2.6.

I've got the same problem, having a builtin PCtel modem in my laptop. Not having this working is incredibly irritating, and so as I can't find anyone else having ported the drivers, or even attempting to do so, I'm willing to give it a bash myself. I do however, have very very little experience with writing kernel modules or serial drivers, so this is going to take awhile while I get up to speed on how 2.6 serial drivers need to operate.

All that can be suggested at the time being, is going back to 2.4, as I have had to. If you happen to use Gentoo or compile alot of software, this can actually be a lot less frustrating due to tiny changes in headers and so forth in 2.6 meaning alot of stuff just doesn't compile straight out of the tarball.

Hope that helps ]

Hi,

you can use the PCtel HSP56 AMR and others modems devices which didn't work with pctel-0.9.6 (or other) driver. Download the file slmodem-2.9.6.tar.gz on ftp://ftp.smlink.com/linux/unsupported and follow the instructions in README file. It's easy to install, and I got to do it works with the slackware 9.1 and kernel 2.6.5. So, I hope that you too.

Hi,

I tried to used the file slmodem-2.9.6.tar.gz on ftp://ftp.smlink.com/linux/unsupported in kernel 2.6.3 but i totally failed.

I have a PCTel 56 Micromodem with PCT789 and when I try to run (of course after the succeful compilation):

#/usr/sbin/slmodemd /dev/lsamr0

I get that this device doesn't exist.

Does anyone have the slightest idea of what to do in order my modem to work under 2.6.xx kernel.

thx,

liakos

I'm going to take a total guess on this, but it seems that you issued the wrong command. Assuming that you compiled coorectly, did you do;

modprobe slamr

Then issue the command, as per the directions;

/usr/sbin/slmodemd [options] <device_name>

Also noting the directions;

Quote:
Where device name is appropriate device node for your modem

(look at output of 'dmesg' command).

Run '/usr/sbin/slmodemd --help' for details.

Examples:

# /usr/sbin/slmodemd --country=USA /dev/slamr0

hi i also have a PCTtel with chip 789

everything compiles just ok i loaded the module with modprobe -f

but doing

$ slmodemd /dev/lsamr0

it also says it doesn't exist

with the pctel drivers from linmodems.org the port it used was ttyS15 i linked that to modem and then used

$ slmodemd /dev/modem

and

$ slmodemd /dev/ttyS15

but either works so frown anyone? how i determine <device_name> the modem uses? maybe these drivers are not for my chip?

because it is not AMR or whatever, please help

I have a similar problem with these drivers and the PCT789 chipset, the modem I have is PCI.

When I try to modprobe it says no device found.. I think these drivers don't support the PCT789 which sucks because then there are no 2.6 drivers for this card frown

If anyone knows of any working let me know.

OK, I gave it a try and it didn't work frown

I have a PCTel HSP56 Micromodem PCI (offboard), kernel 2.6.4.

My 'lspci' output, regarding the modem is:

======

01:09.0 Modem: PCTel Inc HSP MicroModem 56 (rev 02)

======

I compiled the driver OK. When I use 'modprobe slamr' everything goes fine.

But when I use the 'slmodemd'...:

# /usr/sbin/slmodemd --country=BRAZIL &

error: mdm setup: cannot open dev `/dev/slamr0': No such device

error: cannot setup device `/dev/slamr0'

[1] 1153

[1] Exit 255 slmodemd --country=BRAZIL

Can anyone "show me the light"?

Thanks for your attention.

Oh, and I have even tried:

/usr/sbin/slmodemd /dev/slamr0

/usr/sbin/slmodemd /dev/slamr1

/usr/sbin/slmodemd /dev/slamr2

/usr/sbin/slmodemd /dev/slamr3

The error is always the same as I showed before. frown

Sorry, fellow, but there are people using their PCTel modems on kernels 2.6, thanks to the driver we have been discussing here.

Unfortunately... not ALL OF US can do that frown

Do this as root:

Quote:
ln -sf /dev/ttySL0 /dev/modem

Then I think the modem will be found.

Hi, I just compiled the slmodem-2.9.7 driver on my Mandrake 10, 2.6.3 kernel.

And I cant load the module.

With modprobe slamr, I get a Fatal error, with modprobe -f, I get the same error but when I do dmesg, I see this :

slamr: disagrees about version of symbol struct_module

slamr: no version for "struct_module" found: kernel tainted.

slamr: no version magic, tainting kernel.

slamr: module license 'Smart Link Ltd.' taints kernel.

slamr: Unknown symbol devfs_mk_cdev

slamr: Unknown symbol devfs_remove

ne idea whats the problem, should I try to use older driver...

thx guys

Originally posted by kenjiro_tanaka:

Quote:
Sorry, fellow, but there are people using their PCTel modems on kernels 2.6, thanks to the driver we have been discussing here.

Unfortunately... not ALL OF US can do that frown

OK then, who has it working? Any links or solutions to be posted?

My guess on this is that the device files /dev/slamr* do not exist. These should have been created at installation or by init scripts. For me the debian sl-modem-daemon and sl-modem-source work. I looked through them, the installation script creates /dev/slamr* and /dev/slusb* (i guess for USB modems) thus:

mknod -m 660 /dev/slamr0 c 212 0

mknod -m 660 /dev/slamr1 c 212 1

and chown root.dialout /dev/slamr[0-3]

similiarly for /dev/slusb:

mknod -m 660 /dev/slusb0 c 213 0

and chown root.dialout /dev/slusb[0-3]

The debian init script also checks for intel8x0m ALSA module present in kernel >= 2.6.5 and uses it if present instead of slamr module; though i have not checked if it works (with intel 537 82801 AC'97 modems i suppose).

I am attaching a modified debian init file (sl-modem-daemon) for others after removing the debianism's from it. Also attached is a sample default file (sl-modem-daemon.default) which contains some options such as country; please rename as /etc/default/sl-modem-daemon to enable usage by init script (or obviously anywhere else after appropriately modifying the init script).

Check if this works; it seems that the init script does not handle slusb yet.

oops this does not allow to attach files. Also i was unable to insert the files inline probably because they were too large. If someone knows another method let me know; else i can send by email.

OK!!

I have installed pctel 789 modem with FC2 by slmodem 2.9.9 OK!

download slmodem 2.9.9

use x-konsole

make

make install

modprobe slamr

modprobe slusb

slmodemd /dev/ttyS0

--------it will hole the konsole--------

use new konsole

ln -s /dev/ttySL64 /dev/modem

---------now the modem can use------

Anybody can make it run in backgroup ?

THANKS

You said the smodem drivers got it working with a PCT789?

I just tried, on Fedora Core 2. The stuff modprobes fine, but when I open the device in minicom all of the init's work fine but if I actually try to dial anything it instantly says NO CARRIER.

I looked at the FAQ and it said this will happen if I hit enter twice, but I didn't..

I still don't think this works with the PCT789, which sucks because I am running 2.6 on Core 2.

Any ideas?

Hi!

I have Mandrake 10.0 with 2.6 kernel, and I'm having the same NO CARRIER error. I did all that was said in this thread, and everything went fine... but, when try to dial with kppp, I got this:

kppp2.png

I post this two snapshots if you find them useful:

kppp.png

kppp1.png

I would really love to get my modem working!

smile THANK YOU!!!!