Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lars

Defrag problem

Defrag refuse to complete two files, when I analyse the drive it recommend to defrag, but when I start it goes real fast and I the report I says something like "files who are not defragged" and I get at list of two files

"Fragment 3 and 2" and they are the most fragmented files on the drive.

Lars,

What OS (NT4 / W2K) and what defragger are you running? What are the names of the fragmented files?

Regards,

Jim

lars, are those 2 files very large in size? and do you have alot of free space on that drive you are defragmenting, coz to defragment all files you have to have atleast 20% free space on that drive and the largest file must have space to recopy itself on that same partiotion. got that? smile

and yeah, check if those 2 files are not system files. smile

/Silent.

Lars,

The defragger that comes with W2K is a limited version of Executive Software's Diskeeper NT defragger. There are some types of files (page files, MFT, etc.) which it CANNOT defrag. The commercial version can defrag those files by performing what's called a boot-time defrag. But even it cannot defragment all Windows meta-data.

I believe O&O Defrag can defrag everything, also Norton Speed Disk and Raxco's Perfect Disk. They all have advantages and disadvantages. And they all cost extra bucks. But you can download trial versions.

I tried all of the ones I've mentioned, except for Speed Disk. I have attitude problems about Peter Norton and Symantec. But Microsoft also specifically states in the MSKB that the method Speed Disk uses (or perhaps used at one time?) for defragging the MFT on-the-fly is not a good thing. On the other hand many people swear by it, and it's reputed to be the fastest. Diskeeper NT has a lot of useful features, but it won't defrag all meta-data. I found Perfect Disk to be buggy on my system with some annoying interface issues. O&O Defrag has performed perfectly for me.

YMMV. That's why downloading the demos and trying them is a good idea. WARNING: Install only ONE of these puppies at a time! Before proceeding to your next demo version, uninstall the previous, which should put you back to the standard W2K defragger.

If you tell us the names of the fragmented files, we may be able to tell you whether or not it's normal for them to be fragmented.

Regards,

Jim

It was two pak files from Qukae3Arena, and they where almost 1 gigabyte, but i solved the problem by remove some programs from the drive. I want thank you all fore the help, especially Silent-IQ for all the help :-)

Ps: next time, i will more specific when i post something here.