Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Yog

Worth installing SP1?

Hi, im currently running Win2k Pro on my old Amd Athlon 500 with Asus K7M and was wondering if its really worth installing SP1?

I never play games, just a bit of Photoshop, i-browsing, icq etc..

Will installing SP1 increase my Systems stability and performance? Cos sometimes Photoshop (5.5.) suddenly shuts down with the message:

<process name> has caused an illegal operation blabla...

*Second question: Will an appy like Norton Crashguard prevent this way of crashing and/or give me a chance to Save my work before it crashes? Lost a lotta work cos of this frown

*Third: What are the most stable detonator-drivers for my TNT 2 Ultra (Asus 3800)? assuming i dont need any extreme framerates in Quake etc.. just stability and fast 2D performance

Thanks ahead!

How much ram do you have? It sounds like photoshop is sucking down your resources.

Ive had no problems here with SP1. It may or may not help. But I dont think it would hurt.

If your not running alot of games I would stick with the offical Det drivers off of Nvidia's site.

thanks.. just 128 mb of sdram.. can photoshop crash cos it doesnt have enough ram? ive got a big swapfile of 512 mb ...

i don't know if it will make it crash, but I suppose it's possible. You really should upgrade your memory regardless.... there's a huge performance difference going to 256mb. and 128mb sticks of PC133 are only about $40 these days!

ROTFLMFAO

Hey Yog, old fart, what are ya doin' here?

Can't ya ask me sometimes? LOL

Regarding stability I think your K7M is the culprit, whenever I heard someone with a K7M it was about complaints (=P)

For sure SP1 (or even SP2 RC2.52) will make your config a tad better as it contains updated drivers for the AMD750 Chipset.

The most stable drivers for your card? Easy, just stay with the ones installed by Win2K if you don't need 3D. Otherwise you'd want to give a try to the 6.31 WHQL certified drivers.

Photoshop works perfectly with 128Mb.

and last but not least, AVOID using crashguard at ALL COSTS!! this thing is buggy as hell and crashes more often than the system itself....

Hey Ark, what are those complaints yer generally hearing about the K7M ? Its running fine here except for that Photoshop-prob

And yeah i got myself two new sticks of 256 and its running smoooth on 392 now :)) Can suggest everyone adding a few sticks

Might gonna try that SP1.. ill let ya know on the flower m8..

see ya