Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
sodeysay

Mandrake 9.22 Internet Connection

I am very new to linux. I have installed Mandrake 9.2 and would like to get internet connection.

I have tried the wizard which says No Network Card Adapter has been detected. The wizard sees the adapter but says Module: Unknown

I have an NVIDIA nForce MCP Networking Adapter integrated on the mother board ASUS: A7N266-VM

I am using ATT DSL (Covad) with a Speed Stream Modem.

Do I need to have a router to get connection?

Any help appreciated.

Sodeysay

RIG:

A7N266-VM

ATHLON XP 1700-1.4ghz

512 PC2700 DDR

1 WD 40gig HD 7200

1 Maxtor 40gig HD 7200

LOGTEC Z-640

C: Win2K Pro SP3/Mandrake

D: XP Pro SP1

Two possible issues. The chipset on your motherboard and the modem.

Since you are new to Linux, you may want to decide how much time to put into this. The nForce chipset has drivers available for it, but this takes some patience for those new to Linux. The speed stream modem is reported to work, but again, the details are probably worthy of some time and effort.

What I suggest is to do a search on this form for nforce and read the posts. If you feel comfortable with trying to get it going, then the NVIDIA drivers are available. See this link;

http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_nforce_1.0-0261.html

Then do a search of the modem on google, such as linux speed stream modem and get an idea of what it all involves.

Again, from what I read, it will not work easily out of the box. I know Dapper Dan knows something about these boards and he may want to respond.

PCI NICs are cheap as dirt, and many, if not most of them will work with Linux. I would just go down to your local computer store and pick one up.