Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Emilee1

Win2000 install help

Hey guys, I need some help installing 2000 Pro. Currently I have WinME, and it works great. I placed the 2000 cd in, said no to the upgrade or my curret OS, and went for the clean duel boot option. Well, it starts up fine, allowing me to choose from WinME, and Win2000 setup. However, when I run the 2000 setup, it tells me to uninstall any new hardware/software or drivers. Here is what I have:

Creative Labs GeForce DDR-6.18 drivers

Creative Labs Sound Blaster Live! Value-Liveware 3.0

Adaptec SCSI controler card from my CD-R

Linksys 10/100 Ethernet for cable (Im about to take it out, I just got ADSL)

I have my drive partitioned, formated, and ran scandisk, and defrag. Nothing seems to be wrong. My question is why is it telling me to uninstall drivers/programs and such if there is nothing on that drive? Do I need to uninstall these drivers, load Win2000 up, then reinstall them? I have disabled my SCSI card, and Ethernet card in device manager to see if that mattered, it did not. Help me please smirk

Thanks.

And to beat all, I registered 'Emilee' with my old email, now I cant get the pw for it, thus the 1 after my name! shocked

You do not want to upgrade ME. You want to dual-boot. So ignore those 2000 messages. They are telling you what will happen if you UPGRADE. Insert the 2000 Disc and boot from it then install to a secondary partition.

Thats what Im trying to do. I have ME on now. I choose no to the upgrade, and yes to the clean install, and then the 2nd one for duel boot. Then I go to advanced options, and choose my drive where I want to install it, and check the box that tell it I want to choose were to put it on install.

Then it reboots, give me the option to go to WinME, or Win2000 Setup. I choose setup, it scans my hardware, and comes up with that msg. Its on a blueback drop, with whitetext.

The drive where I am trying to put it is TOTALLY empty, with over 2 gigs on it. Formatted it, scandisked it, and defraged it. I dont understand why I get these error msg's.

Sucks tho :\

Emilee1 - please post the actual message you are getting when it reboots and you select Windows 2000 Professional Setup.

Your configuration in WinME shouldn't make any difference. Are you hitting F6 to install drivers for the scsi adapter?

------------------

Shrink

92% of the things we worry about don't happen - but the other 8% DO!

PIII 650@850

BE6-II Mobo with 192 mb ram

20 gig Quantum KX 8 gig Quantum CR

SBlive Value

Voodooo3 3000 AGP

... and a bunch of USB Stuff

Windows 2000 Pro Retail

I was trying to install them, but I dont have them on disk like it wanted. SO I took them out, also took out my Ethernet card since I got adsl thru USB.

The msg says I need to remove or uninstall any new hardware/software/drivers. Also tells me to run a diagnostic on my hardrive. Which I have done. Its been reformatted, scandisked, and defragged. Its completly empty.

I dont know what it wants smirk

What mobo and hd controller are you running? I have never seen that message before. Did you fdisk /mbr the hard drive as well? Run a diagnostic on the hd (the diagnostic from the hd manufacturer)?

------------------

Shrink

92% of the things we worry about don't happen - but the other 8% DO!

PIII 650@850

BE6-II Mobo with 192 mb ram

20 gig Quantum KX 8 gig Quantum CR

SBlive Value

Voodooo3 3000 AGP

... and a bunch of USB Stuff

Windows 2000 Pro Retail

Abit BX6-2, Adaptec AIC-78500 SCSI card. I took out my SCSI card, and Ethernet card. Now all I have in my board is:

Creative Labs GeForce DDR

Creative Labs Sound Blaster Live! Value

I ran Nortans, and Windows default scan, nothing wrong. Its been formatted and defragged too. I REALLY want to duel boot, whats the deal?

If the HD is on the 66 controller your gonna need to press F6 when it tells ya and insert the drivers for the controller.

No I havent updated my BIOS.

I dont have a controller card, its a 13gig, 7200 rpm drive.

All I have now is my Vid card, and Sound card.

how are you trying to install 2k from within ME or direct of the CD?? Try an install by booting off the CD not from within an OS.

Ok, just got another HD. A 4.3 which I plan to use for Win 2000.

I took out my SCSI card to troubleshoot to see if it would install without it being there. It did not. But after I put it in... all my partitions are gone now, why?

Used to be like this, C, D, E, F, G, H:CD-R, I:CDrom.

Now its just C, D:CD-r, E:CDrom. I lost all my other partitions... again, why?