Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
gluev

I 've WINDOWS 2000 installed and now i want to install windo

I ve a partition with windows 2000

i ve a partition with windows 98

i ve a wotking dualboot!

Now

I would like to format my windows 98 partition to install windows ME.

Why can i do this without losing my dualboot (and my windows 2000 installation)..

Thank you

------------------

GLUEV PRODUCTIONS

www.chez.com/gluev

Hi,

I haven't used Win Me, but I've done this many times to dual boot between Win9X (on drive C : ) and NT or W2K (on drive D : ). Go ahead and install Win Me in the (former) Win98 partition, then run the "Repair" function on your W2K installation CD to repair boot files and sector. It should detect the Win Me installation and set up the proper MBR configuration and boot files in the WinMe partition.

I'm assuming here that Win Me does not differ in any substantial respect from Win9X and that your Win Me and W2K partitions will be on C: and D:, respectively.

Regards,

Jim

[This message has been edited by jaywallen (edited 18 September 2000).]

A repair will not be needed as Win Me will not overwirte the win2k boot loader. Hey gluev please post 9.x related issues in the proper place.

Hey moderators can you please move this post to the win 9.x section

------------------

My System

Dell Demension XPS T500

Triple Boot Windows 2000 Pro 2195 (allways reliable) / Windows Whistler Pro 2250 (cool but buggy) / Windows Millennium Final (waste of disk space)

PIII @ 500 Mhz (with after market heatsink and dual fan)

256 Megs Ram

TNT2 Ultra Graphics Card (with the core and memory overclocked by 20 Mhz and dual voodoo coolers)

Matrox Millennium PCI (for second monitor)

3Com 10/100 Ethernet Card

3Com 56k Modem

12.6 Gig IBM HD

40X CD Rom Drive

100 Mb Zip Drive

Quote:
Originally posted by Four and Twenty:
A repair will not be needed as Win Me will not overwirte the win2k boot loader. Hey gluev please post 9.x related issues in the proper place.

Hey moderators can you please move this post to the win 9.x section

Four and Twenty,

Thanks for that info. I'll tuck that one away, not that I expect to ever make personal use of it. smile It's nice of Microsoft to try to write their operating systems so that they're aware of each other these days!

Regards,
Jim, the grumpy old AIX guy

Dont bother with ME it sucks ,but if you must use vmware for me it allows you too run a virtual machine in your win2k installation and it works great as long as you have over 128mb of ram.

have two partitons

Win2k is on C: i presume, so you're gonna need another drive or a partiton, i'll call it "X:\".

Boot the win98 cd

start the install of winme from whatever location its at. win2k will make the proper changes and allow you to dual boot