Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Wetling

Newbie needs some help

Hi there, I am new to this kind of stuff. I went from Win 3.1 to 95 on a different computer. Then I went from 95 to 98 on the same computer, but there were few peripherals, applications, and files I need to worry about. Now however I have lots of stuff I don't want to lose when I upgrade to Windows 2000. So I am asking for some help.

I am planning to put all the install files for the programs I have downloaded on the CD-R as well as my image, mp3 and word files. Is that all I should backup? I have a beta version of Windows 2000 but it is the last build (2195). Will that make a difference? If I was to install the OS, does it have a good way to uninstall to got back to 98 if it is not what I wanted? Will I have to format my HDD to switch to NTFS? What about dual booting. Is it worth it? I have a 10GB HDD that is currently my default. I also have a 6GB secondary drive. I have never dual booted anything so I would appriciate step by step insturctions. Actually, any step by step instuctions you can give for anything would be GREATLY appriciated.

Sorry about the length. Thanks guys.

EDIT: I thought of another question. Will my bookmarks in IE transfer over?

[This message has been edited by Wetling (edited 15 September 2000).]

If you went from Win95 to Win98 on the same computer that you intend to take to W2K, the first thing you should do is to go into your Device Manager to make a COMPLETE list of all of the systems devices, then go to the hardware compatibility list at

http://www.microsoft.com/hcl/default.asp

to see what's going to work and what's not going to work. Download the proper W2K-specific device drivers for all of these items, and back them up to CD-R, too. (Be sure you close the CD-R after you've finished your backups to it. When that machine first comes up in W2K, it's probably not going to want to try to read a CD that's been left open.)

You also need to check out all of your favorite software to see if it's got W2K versions available. (Microsoft has a downloadable software checker that will run through your system to see if it can spot W2K-incompatible software. I don't know how reliable it is.) This NT Compatible site is, of course, an outstanding place to find out how to make software that was made for Win9X run on an NT or W2K machine. But you have to install the OS and get it working first.

Your bookmarks will transfer. Just copy the CONTENTS of the \windows\favorites directory (NOT including the favorites folder itself) to an empty directory on backup CD. Then open IE and tell the Import / Export Wizard import the favorites. (You'll have to tell it where to find them.)

Moving to Windows 2000 really requires a lot of homework if you've only used DOS-based Windows before. I'd suggest doing some reading on the topic of upgrading systems to W2K at the Microsoft Knowledge Base before tackling this. Asking someone to give you a comprehensive step-by-step instruction set for the tasks that lie ahead of you is akin to asking someone to write a book for you.

The material is already available. You should familiarize yourself with it, then try to ask specific questions about the process. That way, you'll get better results, I think.

Regards,

Jim

[This message has been edited by jaywallen (edited 16 September 2000).]