Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
slewis1972

Cannot get IIS to work

Hi,

I just installed IIS to host a ftp site at home. Basically, it is showing as not started, and when I try and start it, in the Internet Service Manager the message I get is "The service did not start etc etc ina timely fashion". I have checked my network connections and in Control Panel/System/Hardware I have about 10 references to netbeui, mostly dial in, and a couple dial out ones. I try to delete these ( as could explain why my computer takes ages to load), but all I get is that Windows nead these to start and so access is denied.

Am I looking in the right palce ???

Input from you fine people please,

Scott

Try un-installing IIS and installing it again.

On the side note... IIS DOESN'T host FTP !! it is a web server for HTML pages. If you want FTP site then install FTP server.

Windows FTP server is a bit cumbersome... if you want a good FTP server try Serv-U.

About 10 references.. Strange... Unless you have 10 outgoing connections.... I you are sure something ain't right, try re-installing windows to be 100% sure smile.gif

FTP is part of IIS. You have to install IIS with the FTP option to host FTP sites. Can you tell us what the entries were before the error? Or, could you just email me the event logs (system, security, and application) and I'll take a peek.

------------------

Regards,

clutch