Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
slewis1972

Win2k and Win98 woes - Help

Problem or quandie, depending on the outcome.

At present Dual booting Win98 & Win2k. Have evaluated Win2k, checked my hardware ect, replaced printer as will not run on Win2k, but voodoo 2 cannot run Direct x games on Win2k as its not supported.

So, I would like to upgrade my C Drive to Win2k as have 4 gig of programes etc, but then like to install Win98 on separate partition to play the odd game. I though have been told this is not possible as nead to have Win98 on C and Win2k on D.

Is this true or can someone help.

Scott

It should be possible.

If you install Win98 first, you can tell it to install to D:\Windows

You can then do the Win2K install to C:\Winnt

The only thing you need to remember is that when installing software under 98, remember to put it into d:\program files. This'll help keep everything nice and clean and seperated.

Sound pretty simple. So if I get this right,

Delete D drive at the moment install Win98 on D drive, and then should be able to upgrade my C Drive to Win2k, as it is the one with 4gig of programs on.

The only thing I see is a probelem , if I recall does Win2k have a problem when upgrading on a system with 2 operating systems running, PLus what about boot loader?

Scott

well the trick is that you will have to figure out how to boot up in the 98 that is on your c: drive once you have installed a copy on your d: drive. Because it will want to boot the copy on the d: drive. But you must boot in win 98 off the c: drive to do the upgrade. Kind of a catch 22 if you ask me. My best recomandation is get winme off of a warez site (becase it is not worth the money even if you have it) boot up in win 98 on c: then install me on d: then install win2k on c:\ as an upgrade. The reason this will work is because winme does not destroy win2k's boot loader.

Then when you are through with all that why not add whistler aswell?

------------------

My System

Dell Demension XPS T500

Triple Boot Windows 2000 Pro 2195 / Windows Whistler Pro 2250 / Windows Millennium Final

PIII @ 500 Mhz (with after market heatsink and dual fan)

128 Megs PC133 Ram

TNT2 Ultra Graphics Card (with the core and memory overclocked by 20 Mhz and dual voodoo coolers)

3Com 10/100 Ethernet Card

3Com 56k Modem

12.6 Gig IBM HD

40X CD Rom Drive

100 Mb Zip Drive