Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
pr-man

Windows ME versus Win2k?

Hey INFERNO2000, You can get Red Alert for Win9x to work in 2k, it takes a bit of work though (and most likely you'll not have the network features of the game). You have to install it in 9x, and install the Aftermath add-on. Then you can boot into 2k and run the program.

ive been dualbooting ever since installing win2k and i havent been to win98 for some time now..rebooting every 2-3 hours isnt for me..and if i loose 10 fps (in some games) ill accept that.

now im going to get an isdn from work so if that works in 2k im dumping my win98..its insecure instable and is simply not nessecary.

kyosho : have you tried linux ? because unless you game, linux`s more stable than win2k anyday =)

------------------

cel400@500, v3 2k@170, sb 32,

spacew. hot661, 3com 10/100,128mb,8gb seagate

Quote:

i would use me to run my games as it will have better compatibilty with hardware AND software than win2000pro as installing new hardware with 2000 is a nightmare! it's so hard when u r installing something which only has drivers for win9X so u have to log on and download the win2000 drivers and sometimes the companies just don't made 1.

That is why you check to make sure your PC will be compatible with Windows 2000 BEFORE you install it.

Rubbish is hardware more difficult to setup under Windows 2000, it has a fully functioning plug&play layer, and if your motherboard correctly supports ACPI it's even easier.

A lot of the more bizarre hardware is also supported by Windows 2000.

Of all my games only Carmageddon 2 wont run and with Carmageddon TDR coming out first of next month nothing to worry about here.

If you have the compatible hardware, Windows 2000 is the way to go, get used to it, come next year you will be forced over to it.

------------------

PIII 650 Coppermine, ABit BE6-II, 640MB PC100 RAM (Hyundai), Matrox G400MAX, SB Live! Value, Intel 10/100 NIC, Adaptec 2940UW, IBM 7200 ATA66 22GB HD, IBM 7200 ATA66 20GB HD, Pioneer 32x/6x SCSI DVD, Yamaha 4416 SCSI CD-RW, Iomega Zip 100 SCSI Internal, Iiyama Vision Master Pro 410.

Windows 2000 Only

Once you try windows 2000 on a dual processor rig with 256mb of ram you will never go back to Win 9x,ME never.

Windows 2000 runs all the games ive bought recently and all my apps no probs Windows ME is for people who buy there PC at a MALL!.

Go dual its the way to go get a Giga byte or tyan board and flyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.

Dont listen to the previous post most if not all hardware works and is easier to configure under windows 2000 with its superior plug and play the main problems come from dicks who should leave pcs to there mommys,my opinion is windows 2000 is the easiest OS to setup on the market today.

[This message has been edited by ras (edited 20 August 2000).]

I still don't understand why when someone asks, "ME or 2K, and why", people respond with, "if you want to play games, go with ME". I have yet to find anything (as far as games go) that doesn't run on 2K. I play Quake3 for a while, close it, open up Unreal Tourney for a bit, and when I'm tired of that, I drop in some DiabloII, just for kicks. I had no problems installing/configuring 2K, and my friend has been trying to install ME fo the past 2 hours! And, it doesn't want to work. He getting BSODs left and right. I, personally, don't know why he doesn't go to 2K [except that he loses his $100 Kensington trackball ;)], but he thinks the same way, "I wanna play games; I should install Win9x".

This is, of course, just my pennies, as I sit and pound vodka daquaris on a Saturday night :P.

Here's something [some of] you should get a kick out of:

Quote:

---------- Forwarded message ----------

Subject: Re: Exceed for Win9x and WinNT

Hi xxxxxxx,

I am not familiar with Win9x. What is that?

-xxxxx

>Hi,

>

>I need to get a copy of exceed for Win9x and WinNT platforms for home use.

>I could use a Win2K version if you have a copy of that as well.

>

>The reason I need this software is for debug/trouble-shooting purposes

>over the VPN.

>

>Thanks,

>-xxxxx

I got this forwarded from a friend at Qualcomm, who's a Network Admin. And this other guy probably makes 50+K/year. Damn shame.

-bZj

[This message has been edited by Down8 (edited 20 August 2000).]

quote :

"That is why you check to make sure your PC will be compatible with Windows 2000 BEFORE you install it.

Rubbish is hardware more difficult to setup under Windows 2000, it has a fully functioning plug&play layer, and if your motherboard correctly supports ACPI it's even easier.

A lot of the more bizarre hardware is also supported by Windows 2000.

Of all my games only Carmageddon 2 wont run and with Carmageddon TDR coming out first of next month nothing to worry about here.

If you have the compatible hardware, Windows 2000 is the way to go, get used to it, come next year you will be forced over to it."

i bought a new computer with windows 2000 and my new printer and scanner does not have the drivers for win2000 so i had to use my precious time to download them. y would u waste ur well spent money u bought as it can be compatible with ur old operating system but not compatible with windows2000? it will be a waste of money if it doesn't work under it. games too, you buy the games and when u upgrade u find out it doesn't work and the company it was made from does not provide a patch to make it compatible. windows me for example would be able to just install new hardware a lot easier than wondows 2000.

------------------

2 Computers both have :

Intel SE440BX2

Pentium III 700Mhz (100)

LS-120 120 Mb (100MHz)

Fujitsu 17.3 GB Ultra DMA 66/10.2 GB Ultra DMA 66

Mitsubihi 50X IDE

Creative Vibra PCI 128bit

Matrox Millenium G400 16Mb AGP/Diamond Speedstar 8Mb AGP

Bay Netgear 10/100PCI

Medium ATX Tower case

120W Multimedia

MS INternet KB (PS2)

MS Win2000 Pro

Are you telling me you bought a new computer/scanner/printer bundle and the company you bought it from hadn't bothered to install all the required drivers?

Maybe you should have asked your computer vendor to download the drivers for you onto CD.

Most new hardware is either directly supported by Windows 2000 or ships with Windows 2000 drivers.

Hardware is NOT more difficult to setup under Win2000.

At no stage did I say it was any easier than under WinME, but those that are thinking becaue Win2000 is WinNT that hardware is going to be more difficult to setup are wrong.

Of course you are going to make sure all of your hardware is compatible with an OS before you buy it.

With OS's changing more and more some older devices become no long compaitible.

That's just the way it is.

We are entering a phase with new PC's that make ISA devices and applications that run under DOS obsolete - is this such a bad thing?

Time and time again people use the game argument for WinME over Win2000.

As I have previously said there is only one of my vast collection of games that I haven't been able to run and that's only because SCI have a small program running that finds WinNT and tells you it's not a supported platform, finds NT assumes DirectX 3.

Many game manufacturers have also stated that they will make their future games Win2000 compatible, they understand that this OS is just us much a games platform as anything else.

From a compatibility and easy of setup point of view there are no major differences between WinME & Win2000.

However, once you have finished your hour of installation and setting up that's when the differences start to show.

After using Win2000 for a month without a single crash then you'll know what I mean.

My Win2000 machine has been running more or less 27/4 since February.

I re-boot it once a week, not because Win2000 requires it, but some badly written applications do eventually start to leak a lot of memory.

This will all be academic next year, the next OS will be based on the Win2k code & Kernel, it will have an agresive roll out, and will fast become the OS of choice.

------------------

PIII 650 Coppermine, ABit BE6-II, 640MB PC100 RAM (Hyundai), Matrox G400MAX, SB Live! Value, Intel 10/100 NIC, Adaptec 2940UW, IBM 7200 ATA66 22GB HD, IBM 7200 ATA66 20GB HD, Pioneer 32x/6x SCSI DVD, Yamaha 4416 SCSI CD-RW, Iomega Zip 100 SCSI Internal, Iiyama Vision Master Pro 410.

Windows 2000 Only

Quote:
Originally posted by bobbinbrisco:
quote : i bought a new computer with windows 2000 and my new printer and scanner does not have the drivers for win2000 so i had to use my precious time to download them. y would u waste ur well spent money u bought as it can be compatible with ur old operating system but not compatible with windows2000? it will be a waste of money if it doesn't work under it. games too, you buy the games and when u upgrade u find out it doesn't work and the company it was made from does not provide a patch to make it compatible. windows me for example would be able to just install new hardware a lot easier than wondows 2000.

You wasted your "precious time" downloading drivers to make your peripherals work, yet you have enough time to post mostly drivel in this message forum. And you want to buy whatever hardware or games right off the shelf, spending no time or thought whatsoever to see if they'll work with the most advanced operating system around.

Waaaaaa!

I have a sneakin' suspicion that you'd better go check the oil in your car. Have you ever had it changed?

Quit your whining, and go play in some other sandbox.

------------------
"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!" -Adolph Hitler, 1935

most things are shipped with 9x drivers why? Easy 2k is for "business" use (or as we have been told time and again :P) and most users have a 9x kernal on their system. Why dont you go to like compUSA and pay 500 dollars for them to install the drivers for ya. If downloading drivers and making them work is too much trouble maybe you can go buy a MAC.

if the operating system is "the most advanced operating system in the world" shouldn't it be able to support a lot of hardware and still be stable while still making it easy for users to use any programs they want without checking up on whether it will 'work' with their operating system?

------------------

2 Computers both have :

Intel SE440BX2

Pentium III 700Mhz (100)

LS-120 120 Mb (100MHz)

Mitsubihi 50X IDE

Bay Netgear 10/100PCI

Medium ATX Tower case

120W Multimedia

MS INternet KB (PS2)

MS Win2000 Pro

No, not at all.

If a hardware device doesn't have a driver built into Windows 2000 blame the hardware manufacturer.

If the hardware device isn't support by Windows 2000 again blame the hardware manufacturer.

It is not down to Microsoft if/how a company makes it's hardware devices or writes the drivers.

The reason Windows 2000 is so stable is because it doesn't support dodgy hardware devices.

That is where Win9x falls over, plug in some device install the half-hearted drivers and bang, it falls over.

To get your device running under Win2000 you have to write the drivers to a strick model preventing failure and fall-over.

Any OS you have to make sure your hardware & software are compatible before installation.

BeOS for example, in it's early releases it supported Matrox video cards and Matrox video cards only - who's fault is it if I installed it onto a machine with an ATI card?

You can't have an OS that will run all of the hardware or all of the applications or all of the games in the world, it's just not possible.

But if you line of complaint against Win2000 is you have to download drivers for your printer, then I would say you are far better off running Win98 or WinME.

I don't think your quite ready for WinNT yet.

BTW - What printer and scanner was it?

------------------

Windows 2000 Only

Quote:
if the operating system is "the most advanced operating system in the world" shouldn't it be able to support a lot of hardware and still be stable while still making it easy for users to use any programs they want without checking up on whether it will 'work' with their operating system?

Windows 2000 does run a lot of hardware. In fact, it runs most modern hardware. In fact, it runs ALL the hardware that has certified drivers for it. That's the whole point of the certification program.

Microsoft TRIED to do that as far back as Windows 95 and earlier versions of NT, but manufacturers were slow to respond. Whose fault is that, Microsoft's? Is Microsoft in the hardware driver business?

As far as "making it easy for users to use any programs they want without checking up on whether it will 'work' with their operating system," that's the problem with a lot of users. They buy programs/games without bothering to read the minimum and recommended system requirement statements on the box. They even buy Windows programs and get upset when they don't run on their MacOS machines. Is that Apple's fault?

As it is, Microsoft has made a huge effort at hardware and software compatibility with Windows 2000. More than on any other operating system I've seen come down the pike.

Considering your statement again, it appears to me that if that is your attitude, you shouldn't be running this operating system. You're not ready for it.

------------------
"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!" -Adolph Hitler, 1935

actually windows me has better compatility than windows 2000, which Deadcats states that windows2000 has the best compatibility than any other operating system. that is where u r wrong. windows me, as it is for the home user and small office guys, it will therefore have compatibility with the old hardware and the new whizbang gadgets of the millenium.

------------------

2 Computers both have :

Intel SE440BX2

Pentium III 700Mhz (100)

LS-120 120 Mb (100MHz)

Mitsubihi 50X IDE

Bay Netgear 10/100PCI

Medium ATX Tower case

120W Multimedia

MS INternet KB (PS2)

MS Win2000 Pro

DeadCats sadly shakes his head, "Ya buy 'em books, and buy 'em books, an' all they ever do is chew up the covers."