Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ROM

Whistler?, a few questions

I am downloading whistler now (dont tell bill ;-)) and have a few questions...

Firstly, what kind of compatibility can I expect from release 2250?. Will drivers for windows 2000 work with it?.

How much of the OS is actually in place. Are there great big pieces missing. It just its taking me 12 hours to get and I hope its not really patchy and empty. Also, is it possible to install it on another hard drive (windows 2000 being on the first) and whistler on the second and then use the 2000 bootloader to select. Does it set up all that stuff automaticlly?

Thanks

I really hope one of you guys/girls can help me out :-)

There are no huge peices missing. I have problems with winamp though it will not open the menus. Everything else works great it is faster and more stable than 2k and it looks cooler. I use it as my primary os right now and it works great. It also works great in a multiple boot configuration and yes it will set up the menu for you. Oh yeah the driver thing well i haven't installed any. It has drivers for all of my hardware and it all works so I am not sure if win2k drivers would work.

------------------

My System

Dell Demension XPS T500

Triple Boot Windows 2000 Pro 2195 / Windows Whistler Pro 2250 / Windows Millennium Final

PIII @ 500 Mhz (with after market heatsink and dual fan)

128 Megs PC133 Ram

TNT2 Ultra Graphics Card (with the core and memory overclocked by 20 Mhz and dual voodoo coolers)

3Com 10/100 Ethernet Card

3Com 56k Modem

12.6 Gig IBM HD

40X CD Rom Drive

100 Mb Zip Drive

Thanks

I'll give it a try

The only reason I wondered about the drivers is that I have a geforce and the latest drivers are much improved (6.18) and I wondered if they would work.

Looking foward to giving it a go...

Oh I also heard that the OS attempts to contact microsoft when you connect to the net. If this is true, what would they do? Send the FBI round? :-)

But are microsft really bothered that whistler is avaliable to anyone on the net?

thanks

byeee

Well, I put on whistler twice both times i have kept it on for a day, and put 2k back on after. I have found certain programs work fine, but others f**king hate it. Programs such as gamespy,diskeeper,remotleyanywhere, any firewalls, hate it, winzip is touchy with it. I love the OS to death, but you must remember this build is a developers alpha so its not going to be very stable and is going to have issues with a lot of stuff until companies get off their arses and start fixing programs to work with it. Will we see another repeat of the 2k driver migration syndrome no, but MS is progressing faster than companies would like so its going to take some time to get everything working flawlessly in whistler. Once i clear off my other HD Im going to set up a duel ME/Whistler boot config.

i agree that some programs don't like it (winamp is my only prob) but i find it to be more stable than win2k sp1 and faster Use it about 99% if the time and it runs great even games run well. I love it and i can't wait for the first beta.

i agree that some programs don't like it (winamp is my only prob) but i find it to be more stable than win2k sp1 and faster Use it about 99% if the time and it runs great even games run well. I love it and i can't wait for the first beta.

I've been tempted to download it, but I'd say if people like it now (and seeing screenies I can see why( - imagine what it will be like at RTM.

I love Win2k (now with SP1) - and equally can't wait for Whistler...it will surely get much better smile

-Ex-

finally, someone agrees that Whistler will be a great OS...I'm glad that you all think this. Just between you and me, whistler Beta 1 will be out in September smile

what's whistler?

i have just made this post over 10 messages so that there will be a flaming icon for ppl to see!

yay!!

Windows Whistler aka Windows.net 1.0 (yes it is confirmed that is the name of it) is the new hybrid OS of 9x and NT. Some of the current features of the developers alpha are IE 5.6, New Start Menu, new control panel, the ability to reskin the GUI. Faster and more stable than 2k. At the current level is it very stable but lacks some app support for some apps (see above posts for what ones), but is an amazing OS, Im currently burning a lot of Mp3s on my spare drive to duel boot the alpha and ME until the beta comes out then i will see how that is.

If whistler is as good as many of you make out (and I am sure it is, I am still downloading it, taking ages :-() then I can't see how Linux is going to make its way onto the home desktop. I only mention this as a load of companies like IBM, compaq, sun are all getting behind Gnome to challenge microsoft. But if .Net 1.0 that good, I cant see them being able to do much.

Linux will never make it onto the desktop in the next 5 years unless they plan on making it stupid friendly. Why has windows suceeded so well because its stupid friendly, all your HW is setup for you, it manages your files and puts everything in a nice box for ya. Linux isnt stupid friendly, hell its basically like DOS to a point. Ask joe bob jim avg computer user across the street what DOS is and they dont know, let along know how to set it up and run something from it. So lets put joe bob jim on a linux box and ask him to compile a program so it can run or how to use gzip to unzip something then compile it or to setup hardware. He CANT do it why?? Because he bought a box with windows already installed, probably doesnt even have 1/2 a clue what the hell is in his box he just knows he has a Pentium 3 processor and a 15 gig HD because thats what the guy at radio shack told him. Average users won't even go in their windows folder let along open up the computer. So unless linux gets more stupid friendly its not going to be on desktops.

Not to mention for the hardcore users game support API support like DirectX, hell they just got DVDs to work on there. Dont get me wrong linux is a great OS but its a long way off from replacing joe bob jim's desktop operating system.