Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
pr-man

Best settings for Win2k pro with my config?

I have a celeron 300a@464, 192 megs of pc100, Abit BH6 rev 1.01 (running QN bios), WD 8.4 gig UDMA-33, Matrox G400 32 meg, SBlive Value, toshiba 6x dvd-rom drive, HP surestore 7200i, Supra express 56i ISA and other stuff. In addition and good tweaks?

------------------

***TRUST YOUR TECHNOLUST***

don't get win2k. reviewers reccomend u have atlest a 400MHz computer to take REAL advantage of this operating system wait for windows me

didn't he say he has it oc'ed to 464?

You'll be fine with Win2k...just stay away from Advanced Server unless you have at least 200 mb RAM(I ran fine on 160 though).

Get the newest BIOS you can, and you may want another larger hdd....as Win2k usually takes about 2 GB(Including swap file).

------------------

OBSIDIAN (Win2k System)

---Custom Built---

AMD Athlon 750(model 2) retail (Slot A)

Asus K7V Mobo BIOS revision 1007

PNY 288(295 listed)MB PC100 SDRAM (2x128 & 1x32)

A-Top 901 Case & 300W Athlon Approved Power Supply

3 Internal 80mm fans(along with Power Supply, CPU, and GeForce fans)

CL SB Live! X-Gamer on Liveware 3 Drivers-only

CL GB Annhilator Pro GeForce DDR on Detonator 6.18

Windows 2000 Advanced Server (SP1)

Logitech Itouch Pro

Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer

Everglide (HL Giganta)

Logitech Quickcam Home(listed as WEB)

Logitech Soundman G1 Speakers

D-Link DFE-530TX+ Ethernet Adapter

DirectX 8.0 beta

Compaq V720 17" Monitor

Memorex 4x2x24 CD-RW

Compaq(Pioneer) 6x DVD

INFERNO (Win9x(ME)-and eventually Linux-System)

---Compaq Presario 5600i---

PIII 500(498 listed) (Pre CuMine)

Compaq 128(131 listed)MB RAM

Seagate 1GB and either a 3.2GB or 4GB Hdd

ATI Xpert 98 video card

Sonic Impact S90

Hauppauge! WinTV GO

Intel Onboard and ATI AT-2000 ISA Ethernet cards

Windows 98SE

Mandrake 7.1

PC Concepts AT-to-Ps2 Keyboard

Logitech First/Pilot Wheel Mouse

Compaq JBL Speakers

Packard Bell 14" monitor

BTC 20x CD-ROM

Ok can you guys also tell me specifically which services are allow to disable or set to manual? I tried win2k a while back and did it according to one site and it got all messed up. thx. Im just trying to get the most performance I can. I have winme final and its horrible. Fast but has so many memory leaks its crazy

------------------

Quote:
Originally posted by bobbinbrisco:
don't get win2k. reviewers reccomend u have atlest a 400MHz computer to take REAL advantage of this operating system wait for windows me

Strange, my PII 333Mhz, 192Mb PC-66 RAM, UDMA33 HDD's and GeForce SDR machine runs like a bat outta hell with Win2K compared to how it did with Win98SE. Glad I don't pay much attention to what 'they' say. wink

------------------
"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!" -Adolph Hitler, 1935

well on my system Win98 FE seems to run much faster and smoother than win2k the first time i tried it. thats why im trying to figure out if maybe I did not tweaki what I needed etc.

------------------

The services you can disable or set to manual depend on your specific setup, whether or not you're on a LAN, etc. The only real way to decide what services are necessary for your specific machine and situation is testing by trial-and-error.

Goto Component Services and take a look around. If the service is set to Manual, but hasn't started, you might try setting it to Disabled. Then reboot, run everything you can think of, including your printer(s). If everything works okay, you can safely leave it Disabled. If the setting is Automatic, try changing it to Manual, reboot, run everything again, and see if it has started. If it has, you might as well set it back to Automatic. YMMV.

This is the only REAL way I know of to slim-down the services. Be prepared to spend a few hours doing it, and be prepared to boot into Safe Mode a few times. wink

umm i don't know what the others are talking about. your hardware is plenty to run win2k. i got a celeron @ 450 with 192 ram and 7200rpm HD and it runs very nicely. in win98 it doesn't realy use all the ram properly so it wasted money. and i tried winme and it really stinks in my opinion so i quickly went back to 2k.

don't forget win2k isn't compatible with a lot of products- so when u buy a program for win98 for which u spent good money for, u find out it can't work with win2k. it also can't work with a lot of hardware because when installing my printer and scanner i had to goto canon's complicated website and had to downloa drivers for it. how about games? some games require u to download a huge patch to make it work with win2k so when u look out to buy a new game or want to play those classics, u have to cgeck whether it's compatible. also when i bought an expensive encyclopaedia (Britannica 99) i was lucky to see it can run because it was a lot of money buying that.

i'm not dissing win2k but for putting who want to play games, listen to music and watch movies windows ME is for them.

btw u shouldn't over ur CPU (especially if it's a celeron) it's just not worth the trouble and it's dangerous- it can damage ur WHOLE system if it gets too much overheated (if that makes since to u)

RE: Deadcats

of course ur computer will run faster with win2k as u have heaps more RAM as win98 won't take advantage of it. it is rare and in extreme cicumstances u will see any improvement with RAM over 128- win2k takes advantage of the extra since it's an NT operating system.

also having a fresh install of ANY operating system will make ur computer ran faster despite any operating system as there isn't any junk left over from uninstalled programs and the like.

RE: Deadcats

of course ur computer will run faster with win2k as u have heaps more RAM as win98 won't take advantage of it. it is rare and in extreme cicumstances u will see any improvement with RAM over 128- win2k takes advantage of the extra since it's an NT operating system.

also having a fresh install of ANY operating system will make ur computer ran faster despite any operating system as there isn't any junk left over from uninstalled programs and the like.

Quote:
Originally posted by bobbinbrisco:
don't forget win2k isn't compatible with a lot of products...it also can't work with a lot of hardware...how about games?...u have to cgeck whether it's compatible. also when i bought an expensive encyclopaedia (Britannica 99) i was lucky to see it can run because it was a lot of money buying that.

Yup, you're right. You know, somebody ought to do something about those compatibility problems. Maybe start a website, where you could list hardware and software compatibilities with NT/2000, have file download links, news, and maybe even have message boards. You could even call it something like, um, say NT Compatible. wink

[This message has been edited by DeadCats (edited 17 August 2000).]