Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
MoreLight

Need help to reset some defaults without re-install

I have a month old install of win2k. Couple of things got fubar and I could use some advice on how to reset them.

1.When opening windows explorer, it used to show all my drive letters in my computer first and then show my documents as an unopened folder. Now when I open explorer it shows my computer unopened, and my documents as an open folder.

2. I can't get Outlook Express back as the default mail client. I installed MS Office 97 and accidentally installed Outlook with it. (I was sure I had unchecked it prior to install). I uninstalled Outlook, and then installed IE5.5 hoping it would reset Outlook Express as the default but no luck. I can run OE manually, but I can't click on any "mailto:" link on a web page without crashing the browser.

Any help with these little problems would be greatly appreciated.

That is usually the right way to fix that, but it won't work in this case. In the drop down list there is nothing to select for a mail client. I also clicked on the "Reset Defaults" button, but that didn't work either.

I had installed Pegasus mail, and it is now available to select, but I don't like Pegasus mail. I know there must be a registry key to modify, but I don't want to waste my "two" support incidents on something as trivial as this.