Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ras

Dual boot Windows 2000 pro and server?

At the moment ive got windows 2000 pro on my main system partion i need server as well for work study so i installed on seperate partion, no probs the only thing is it takes ages to boot server is it because ive got both partions formatted with ntfs ive normally triple booted with 98/NT4/WINPRO with 98 formatted with fat and ive never had this slow boot problem weird.I suppose its because both are formatted with ntfs can anyone help once its booted its fine????????????

[This message has been edited by ras (edited 25 July 2000).]

Basically two things to say:

1) It's a Server. It takes ages because it has MANY MORE services and other things to load to manage users and networks and so on...

2) The prerequisites for the Server are the DOUBLE compared to Professional (that are even double to WinNT4/9x);128 MB are the BASE memory for the Server, the more, the better...

No thats not it ive run server before win2000 adv server and theres no way it boots this slow when its not on a dual boot system and i disagree that the initial bootup of pro or server are any different in speed.

I would agree with the server boot time remark. My roommate runs server, and I run pro. his machine takes 3-4x as long to startup, even with 2x the memory [albeit that his machine is a PII 300@450MHz].

------------------

-brianZjones

============

Soyo SY-7VCA

[onboard sound]

PIII 500E [flip chip]

128 MB PC100 RAM

Stealth III S540

3com Etherlink III

Maxtor 10.3 GB

HP 20" Monitor

Win2K Pro [v5.00.2195 & SP-1]