Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ras

Encryption help!!!!!!!!!!!

I recently reinstalled Win2000 and left some encrypted folders on another partion yes im a dick!!! and now i cant access them as they were encrypted on my old win2000 install is there any way i can decrypt them i really need the files

Thanks

Sorry bud, youre SOL.

I did the same thing. I had to write a research paper all over again cuzza dat.

You would think there would be some way to get a master key or something, but there aint.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings!

------------------

---Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.---

Pentium II 450@504 4.5X112

128MB PC100 SDRAM

Diamond Viper V770 Ultra

Sound Blaster Live! Value

Seagate 13.6 Gig 7200RPM ATA/66

Western Digital 13.4 Gig 7200RPM ATA/66

Quantum 8.3 Gig

36X Acer CD Rom

Viewsonic PS790 19" Sweet as Heck Monitor

3Com NIC

Lexmark 5700 Printer

Thanks but oh f******************!!!!!

Hmmm, There may be a way but I don't think I can give you the program........

Hmmm, There may be a way but I don't think I can give you the program........

Thanks but ive given up now ive got to buy a tape backup.By the way whats this prog sounds interesting there is always a way around everthing but for now ive learnt the hard way !!!!!!!!!!!!

[This message has been edited by ras (edited 20 July 2000).]

As far as I've read from Microsoft's EFS (encrypted file system), there are only three ways to really get to encrypted files.

a) Sign on as your original user who encrypted it. Of course this isn't an option.

B) Sign on as the "recovery key" owner. This is usually the administrator of the domain that your computer would run on. If you have a non networked computer then the recovery key owner is the administrator of the computer itself. This is normally a *bad* thing because your encryption passwords can be read off your hard drive, but in your case, this could be a good thing. If you managed to somehow keep the administrator the same across your two installs, then your current admin might still be authorized to recover your files. Give it a try.

Note that the key recovery feature of Win2k is actually quite impressive. It's meant to work, and from a theoretical crypto standpoint, it's pretty solid architecture.

c) This means that "programs" to crack it will not be little downloads that are of the same class as programs to crack your MS Word passwords (those even have intentional time delays put in to make the decryption look authentic). Sine the EFS uses DES 128 bit, it is estimated as hard to crack as RSA 1024 bit. This is of course for a brute force attack. If you do find a way to get around it, please post, though, becuase it would be important crypto news. Sorry to break the bad news on this front.

[This message has been edited by Aero (edited 23 July 2000).]

Just called bill hes gonna send me the master key for us all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

[This message has been edited by ras (edited 26 July 2000).]