Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ilkevinli

Installing Windows2000 from formated hard drive ?

Can some tell me how I can install Windows 2000 from a freshly formated hard drive. I tried but it says cannot intsall from DOS. Thank you.

The best way is to boot off CD...

it Does work...

however, if need be..you can use a Win98 boot disk, to get the CDdrive working, enter setup from the cd(x:\i386\winnt, where x is your cd drive), then format the drive from within the setup to remove the Win9x portion*(not doing this will result in failure if you convert to NTFS)*

At least, that's what I've done in the past.

I've installed it from empty HD many times.

i have a bootable CD and just enable "boot from CD" in bios and power up.

the setup will go from there just fine.

Thanx Guys for responding. When I try to boot from the CD I get the message "Disk boot error. Put a boot disk in and press enter." When I use the win98 boot disk and go to the cd and press setup, I get the message "Cannot run in DOS mode" I installed it over Win98 fine but I want to do a clean install. Any other suggestions ? Is there I boot disk of some kind I can use ? Thanx.

In dos you need to go to the I386 directory and run WINNT. This is Windows NT it is NOT Windows 9x. So you do not run Setup.

Kinda funny you say that... only pirated versions of Win2k don't boot from cd... unless you have the ISO. smile

------------------

---Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.---

Pentium II 450@504 4.5X112

128MB PC100 SDRAM

Diamond Viper V770 Ultra

Sound Blaster Live! Value

Seagate 13.6 Gig 7200RPM ATA/66

Western Digital 13.4 Gig 7200RPM ATA/66

Quantum 8.3 Gig

36X Acer CD Rom

Viewsonic PS790 19" Sweet as Heck Monitor

3Com NIC

Lexmark 5700 Printer

actually retail cd's dont boot from cd on systems that dont support boot from cd either.. always quick to accuse people of pirating i thought this forum was over that....

laters

actually retail cd's dont boot from cd on systems that dont support boot from cd either.. always quick to accuse people of pirating i thought this forum was over that....

laters

Nice ignorant coment about not being able to boot from the CD.

Mine does not work and my copy of win2k is a retail boxed version. I have an Abit Ka7, AHA 2940UW host adapter with a HDD and the CD-ROM on it. It is a known issue with my hardware combo.(the ry bios was suposed to fix this issue, but did not for me).

Athlon 850 MHz

Abit Ka7 (ry bios)

256MB PC100 RAM

Geforce DDR (creative) 5.30 Ref drivers

Plextor 12/20 SCSI CD-ROM

IBM u2w SCSI HDD

Adaptec 2940UW

(2) 8MB Voodoo2

SB Live!

ISA Sportster 56k

bing

when you want to boot from a scsi cd-rom, you have to make sure you set the bios to boot from scsi

after that you have to go into the bios of your scsi cart and set there support cd-rom boot

that's all, it works fine on my 29160

and my former 2930 u2

good luck

Maniac: I am aware of the proper way to boot off a SCSI CD-ROM. Please re-read my post. My point was that there are other reasons for the CD boot to not work.