Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
rlculver

NTFS or FAT 32? - Which is best?

Dear all,

What is the best File Fat System to use on Win2k? and is the converting of drives to NTFS easy?

Thanks

Robert Culver

United Kingdom

It´s not easy to say which filesystem that´s the best. NTFS is better if you are looking for higher security, FAT32 is faster though.

I´m running win2k with NTFS. The conversion is easy as the win2k setup does it for you (If you want to).

When I installed win2k I did it on a formated, empty harddisc so it was done really fast and easy. A friend of mine did it on a not-empty disc and said that it took really long time (around 1 hour) to convert.

I think NTFS works really fine for me.

/bucky

It´s not easy to say which filesystem that´s the best. NTFS is better if you are looking for higher security, FAT32 is faster though.

I´m running win2k with NTFS. The conversion is easy as the win2k setup does it for you (If you want to).

When I installed win2k I did it on a formated, empty harddisc so it was done really fast and easy. A friend of mine did it on a not-empty disc and said that it took really long time (around 1 hour) to convert.

I think NTFS works really fine for me.

/bucky

Thanks for your advice - although If I want to format my drive again under NTFS, what do I do? (Still us a win98 boot floopy disk with the format command?)

Thanks

Robert

Format the drive using the 98 boot disk to the default fat32. When you install Win2k it gives you the option after it copies all the install files to convert to NTFS.

Someone said that NTFS is slower than Fat32 to me it seems to be the opposite actualy.

NTFS is native to NT as its file system. NTFS is also more secure and will allow compression. NTFS is also more stable than FAT. Only drawback is that if you boot to DOS using a boot disk you can't read your drives.

If you insert your Windows 2000 disc and boot off of it you can format your driver using NTFS or FAT32.

You can read your drives with a Dos boot disk but you need a third party utility.

i too was under the impression that NTFS was faster than FAT32, try looking for some hard-drive reviews that do both NTFS and FAT32 tests, i think you'll find NTFS comes out on top