Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Vigile

Drive Imaging Software

I need to make a copy of a Windows 2000 ADv Svr NTFS hard drive, that is 6.4 GB in size. I need to copy it to a 30.0 GB hard drive, but I need to keep a single partition -- and be able to boot off of the new 30.0 GB hard drive.

What software will allow me to do this? Does Norton's Ghost support NTFS partitions? Does Win2K have a built in drive imaging program (that will make an exact image?).

Thanks, guys!

------------------

Ryan Shrout

Athlonmb.com

http://www.athlonmb.com

Ghost does support NTFS 5, but you need the latest version. Older verison only support upto NTFS 4.

You could also try Drive Image Pro as that does a very similar job.

I guess the key question is 'how do you intend to get the image onto the 30GB drive?'.

If it is going to be in the machine that you want to image that's fine. If it is going to be attached to a new machine, you're going to need a boot disk of some description so that you can run the imaging application and pull the image off from the network or CD.

I planned on just attaching the hard drive as a slave, booting off of a boot disk (I thought it might be faster without the Windows load as overhead) and copying it there.

Would it be better to install the program (Ghost) in Windows? And run it through there?

------------------

Ryan Shrout

Athlonmb.com

http://www.athlonmb.com

Norton ghost works fine for NT 5.0/w2k. Just put it on a bootable flopy and start ghost from dos. It will let you select the distination partition size. It will flash an error about NT not being able to boot off a partition larger than 7168 (7GB), but just ignore it (it is an nt 4.0 limit not 5.0)

Athlon 850 MHz

Abit Ka7 (ry bios)

256MB PC100 RAM

Geforce DDR (creative) 5.16 Ref drivers

Plextor 12/20 SCSI CD-ROM

IBM u2w SCSI HDD

Adaptec 2940UW

(2) 8MB Voodoo2

SB Live!

ISA Scportster 56k