Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
INFERNO2000

Laptop OS choice

I recently purchased a laptop, and am debating what to do with it...

It's a K6-2 400, with 64 RAM(96 is my ram works in it), a 4.3GB Hdd, and a Virge Video Card(2MB).

The video card basically negates playing too many games....but that's ok, since I bought this as a workstation for me, to take around, and generally use when not near my computer.

It comes installed with Windows 98SE.

I'm wondering which OS I should go with between: Win98SE(reconfigured to my liking), Win2K Prof, or WinMe?

My desktop is running Win2K Advanced Server, So I'm thinking it might be nice to have a DOS-Kerneled machine as well.

I don't need multi-week uptimes, as the battery only lasts 2 hours...

Security means nothing to me, although if I do go with W2K, I will convert to NTFS.

And as for games: Counterstrike, which I know works fine in W2K.

Which OS would you recommend and why?

------------------

PIII 500 (Pre CuMine)

393(listed)MB RAM

GeForce DDR (Annihilator Pro)

Sonic Impact S90

Win2K Advanced Server

Logitech Itouch Elite

Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer

Everglide (HL Giganta)

Logitech Quickcam Home

etc. etc. etc.

I would say w2k pro it has alot of features for laptops like hibernation although winme has this opp aswell and if you are more concerned with speed than reliability than go with win me. If you want an endless pain in the ass choose win 98. Win me is a great OS and will run much better on 64 megs of ram than w2k. So the choice is speed or reliability. Personally in that situation i would put on win2k since my only use for win me is the extra fps in quake 3.

------------------

My System

Dell Demension XPS T500

Dual Boot Windows 2000 Pro / Windows ME Beta 3

PIII @ 500 Mhz (with after market heatsink and dual fan)

128 Megs PC133 Ram

TNT2 Ultra Graphics Card (with the core and memory overclocked by 20 Mhz and dual voodoo coolers)

3Com 10/100 Ethernet Card

3Com 56k Modem

12.6 Gig IBM HD

40X CD Rom Drive

100 Mb Zip Drive

I use win2k on my laptop.. It run's perfectly.. Although I do loose my monitor/lcd display at the same time..