Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
IdolWild

Windows 2000, Outlook 2000, and MS Exchange

This is kinda a pain: I run Windows 2000 Professional at work and we have an Exchange server upstairs that handles all the mail - I am currently configured for corporate/workgroup mail delivery.

Now, I also have 2 personal accounts being checked at the same time and they remember the account passwords fine, but my Exchange account wants a password every time I start up Outlook 2000 - with no options that I can find to remember it anywhere (either in Outlook 2000 options or the Mail control panel).

Anyone have any ideas?

- IdolWild

Yeah, I know it. I do this where I work. You will think I'm on crack but what you need to do is put your Win2k workstation on the same domain controller as the Exchange server. Then you need to add whatever your user name is on the email server as a user on the domain, whatever it's called, in the user manager of the workstation. Then when you log into the workstation, you need to log into the domain name instead of the local machine name and you will then notice that your desktop and profile look different. That's because you now have another folder in your documents and settings for this new login you just did. You can log in as admin and copy everything from your previous profile to whatever the new one is. Now when you go to outlook and choose "NT password authentication" in your settings it will never again ask you to give it your password because it authenticates you instantly every time you log on to the box. I know this is hard to comprehend. I'm sorry. My IT guy at work doesn't understand it either. I'm just a dumb engineer.