Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
KnYnE

Hard freeze with win2000

My computer seems to freeze at random times with no error log record. NT does not even know that something has happened. Mouse and keyboard stop responding. power off is the only fix...

sd-11 athlon 600

256 ram

geforce

mx300

Same problem here! I thought it was just a bug in the drivers for RC2 but the final still has problems. I can get it to lock up using any type of multimedia (mp3,video,etc).

My system:

Asus P2B-D M/B (dual processor)

Single PIII-550

256Mb RAM

SoundBlaster Live!

ATI Rage Fury

We dont seem to have any hardware in common, other boards have posting of the same thing, it seems to have no pattern to the freeze.

I've had win2k do that exact thing to me once so far, but my roomate has had it happen a number of times. Seems to not matter what hardware you have since I have a PII300 system and my roomate has a PII450; both running Win2k Pro 2195.

KnYnE & ewaite, do either of you happen to use Stardock's WindowBlinds? I just found out today so I haven't time to test it, but it seems that a bug in WindowBlinds can cause IE to pause on closing windows for 5-10 seconds. This might possibly be causing my system to lockup. Either way nothing outside of hitting the reset button can get me out of the lock.

I do not use that progam or have it installed? Do we all have 256 megs of ram? The other funny thing is if i am running a pm3 and it freezes teh system will play out the song even though nothing responds otherwise. How would we approach MS for help on this... are we all using explorer mouse or anything... SETI running??? Any ideas or help, otherwise than the sticky mouse problem everything runs great, much faster than 98...

Can you guys verify that after the unit freezes no matter if you had outlook open or not it says that it was not shutdown properly or is that just something i am making up!!!

I have this problem too, but finally pin down to it is Motherboard Monitor 4.13 related. It seems that whenever I had Motherboard Monitor 4.13 on the background, my mouse + keyboard will sooner or later stopped, but I can still hear the mp3 i am playing and downloading still running etc.

I dont have that running or any MB monitor going at all... how much ram do you have? When my download is going while it freezes the modem stops blining and will not complete any download... event viewer shows nothing, outlook seems to know that it was shutdown bad though...

i have the same problem you have to disable active desktop, after i disabled it i didnt freez up no more

i have

p3 600eb

abit be6 2 motherboard

128mb pc 133

v3 3500 tv agp

go to my amiture gaming web page to see my complet system

http://welcome.to/intelinside

No WindowBlinds, no Motherboard Monitor and no Active Desktop enabled. Outlook express does show there was a problem shutting it down if it was open when the lockup occurs. The event viewer also doesn't show any errors about the lockup and the auto reboot on problem doesn't work when this happens. Here is a list of apps that are running in the background just in case me have something in common.

McAfee VirusScan NT 4.03

WarDaemon FTP v1.71b2

IE5 is usually open

Has anyone emailed MS about this problem?

ONLY THING I HAVE IN COMMON WITH ANYONE IS IE 5, THIS IS A BASE INSTALL.. JUST A COUPLE OF GAMES AND SETI GOING. I HAVE TRIED TO LOOK INTO CONTACTING MS, DAMN WEB PAGE THEY HAVE IS A MESS, IMPOSSIBLE TO JUST GET SOME DAMN HELP...

AS FOR THE ACTIVE DESKTOP, I DO NOT BELIEVE IT IS ON... I HAVE CHECKED IN DESKTOP SETTINGS AND IT DOES NOT SEEM TO BE ACTIVE, I HAVE NOT ENABLED IT ANYWHERE TO MY KNOWLEDGE... ANYONE ELSE?

I had the same problem, however mine turned out to be part of my home network settings. Whenever I booted Win2K and didn't have my other computer powered on it would lock up 10-15 seconds after the login. If you are networking computers double check your network settirngs. Make sure you're not running NetBIOS. Removing that solved my lock-ups.

well i do have a lan but its only with tcp/ip, the other units are always on. And i am almost afraid to post this but it has not crashed since last night... no change in any config. i thought i had a lead at another forum where they believe its related to geforce and agp, but have since determined that it does nor resolve issue either... anybody touch MS on this?

I'm not on any type of network. How do you disable the NetBIOS if it is running?

Also did any of you have this problem in the beta or rc versions? I've had it since day one (RC2)!

To disable netbios, go into services and kill Workstation, Server, Computer Browser and NetBIOS helper. Then get into TCP/IP props (Network icon in sys tray, for me at least) advanced> Wins> And select disable Netbios over Tcp/Ip

This may be a long shot but i have a pile up of conflicts on IRQ 9, goto to manage, system resources, and check the conflicts... i have 5 parts using IRQ 9 though they all work fine and say they are working properly... can you guys check this for me and see if you have the same... maybe these halts are caused by a dual access on the IRQ 9!!!! Please drop me any info if you have the same or know anyting more on this.

Yes, my sblive, nic, usb controller and tnt all are on irq 9, according to Device mgr and Pcilist. Even though they're set otherwise in the bios.

Hmm...Seems my computer has an IRQ 9 sharing conflict as well, even though it says all devices are working properly. Here's what I get:

Resource Device

IRQ 9 Intel 82371AB/EB PCI to USB Universal Host Controller

IRQ 9 3Com EtherLink XL 10/100 PCI NIC

With 3 people reporting conflicts on the same IRQ and all of us getting the hard freezes Im starting to wonder if this just might be the problem somehow. Could this possibly be the cause anyone?

I have heard a lot about people having conflicts with IRQ 9. Could be a problem with Win2k or could be a problem with the drivers windows installs. Either way it seems that IRQ 9 is the beloved IRQ of windows and that seems to be causing some conflicts due to excessive sharing. You guys should try turning off PCI sterring but that would also lose APM support

anyone knoe where i can find the 3.66 drivers for the geforce, from the front page it sounds like that may work...

I have found some postings on newsgroups about win2k having a tough time on VIA chipsets. I do have a south bridge VIA chip, do we have this in common maybe?