Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Loc

Windows2000 System Disk?

How do you make a windows 2000 system disk?!

I want to flash my motherboard bios so in order to do that i need a system disk. Format a:/s dont work for some reason and a windows98 system disk wont load on win2k.

Any ideas/suggestion?

--Loc

You have to flash your bios from pure DOS first all you need one Win 98 boot disk make sure you have your mobo bios flash utilty and new bios on another restart your system dont forget you must enable your bios to boot from floppy disk. Insert your Win 98 boot disk when your sytem restarts it looks like you are going to install Windows 98 when you get to the first splash screen it will prompt you to start your computer with cdrom support select start computer without cdrom support all your doing is creating a pure dos enviroment type A: at the prompt dir, flash your bios dont touch any thing while its rewriting, after flashing it will prompt you to power off reboot take out floppy and your done. I hope this helps.

Yeah i tried that as well, but the Bootdisk wont load because i get the error "NTLTD cannot be found, press any key to restart". Any ideas?

If you get the message NTLDR is missing while booting then your boot disk is corrupted you have to find someone running Windows 98 to make one for you. you can make it in the add and remove programs tab in the control panel of Windows 98.

You need a plain old MS-Dos formatted floppy with Dos system files on it (msdos.sys, io.sys, command.com) and from which you boot.

If you have such a disk, it must work because your PC will never see or load NT.

From a DOS prompt on a Win9x machine type "format a: /s". And then boot from that disk.

Um. Guys. You need to remember that many people do not have multi-boot or additional machines. They may only have one, non-Win9x/DOS machine, and therefore have no hope of doing as you suggest.

I would recommend going to the support section of www.dell.com, and searching for a file called CDENAB.EXE. This is a self-extracting disk image, which runs under everything including W2K, that will create a DOS 6.22 boot disk to access an IDE CD-ROM - the name stands for CD-Enabler.

I would post a link to the file itself, but I can't be arsed as I've posted it before.

YES!!!!! That Dell disk did the job!! Thanks alot bud!

Unbelievable thu isnt it, a win95 disk saves the day in this win2k day and age!!! Ahh...irony...

Oh well...Thnx alot again, my new bios is working sweet =)

--Loc