Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
BM

Cpuidle Pro 1.0 w/ SMP

Anybody encounter any probs running this program w/ smp? For some reason, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt.

dont run that crap in w2k. NT alread has HLT instructions. only win9x dont. HLT = halt cycles. instead of the CPU waste cycles doing nothing HLT stops them and lets the CPU cool of some. if you look under running tasks you will see HLT as system idle process and it uses most of the CPU time.

r0cko: if you have experience with SMP then you should know that Win2k DOES NOT use HLT with SMP! Just run a motherboard temp monitoring program, and you should see that the difference with cpu cool on and off is significant!

Heifetz

Win2k WILL use the HLT instructions in SMP mode when you have ACPI Multiprocessor unser computer type in your device manager. If you have MPS multiprocessor PC then it won't =(

CPU idle pro is good for those who need it.

kevlar, i've never used SMP but thanks for letting me know.seldzar whats your problem?

Damn..so it does work properly for you guys? Sometimes it won't show usage on both CPU and just stalls (when it's working properly, it shows a 100% usage on both CPu's). No one else encounter this problem? BTW: I'm running Epox KP6-BS w/ C366 o/c'ed to 550mhz, Win2k 2195, Asus 3800U TNT2 Ultra 32megs, Nvidia 5.14 beta drivers...

the reason it says 100% usage is that windows thinks the cpuidle program is using the cpu cycles for actual work but it is doing the same thing as system idle process which is the same thing as cpu idle which is redundent and not as good as letting windows do it.

How would I be able to change my computer type from MPS multi to ACPI Multi without reinstalling win2k and ruining the current setup? Will it be worth my trouble? My computer runs fun right now, but without any kind of cpu-idle program. So the temperatures are fairly high. Around 50 for system and 44 for both cpus. I'm not really worried about it, because it doesn't give me troubles. I'm running solid at 2 x 366@550.

Heifetz

I don't remember the exact details, but if you press F6 during setup when it waits for third-party drivers, you can force it to use ACPI drivers. Can someone remember the actual file you have to direct it to?

Anyway, if you can figure that out, just reinstall windows on top of itself, and you won't lose any of your other software installations. The only thing you will have to do is reinstall any driver updates you have used.

EddiE314 if you dont have anything to say dont post worthless dribble just so you can say

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by EddiE314:

Hey, look who's got 230 f*ckin' posts b1tch, who gives a sh1t what some dam*ed site says?! ..motherf*ckin website said..

b1tch a$$!

Hey BM, I have the same hardware, except for a V770 non-ultra.

Cpuidle works perfectly for me - maybe try shutting off some background programs to see if you can track down the problem.

On another note - do you have the 2Mb bios on your KP6-BS? I got the 1Mb and I'm thinking of ordering a new 2Mb chip to get ACPI working.

If you do have 2Mb, how is the latest bios working for you?

Bobo:

Yeah, I'ved tried, but still no luck. I have the 1Mb bios. Thinking of getting the 2Mb bios myself soon.

Sorry I can't help you. The only thing I can think of is that the crack for the trial version caused some errors.

I'm not implying anything wink about your software, but you can reply privately if you need a more "stable" version.

Bobo:

Please check your angelfire email account.