Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ewaite

Partition Magic 5 Update?

I received a reply from Powerquest a couple of weeks ago saying that an update for Partition Magic 5 and Windows 2000 would be available on April 10, 2000. I checked their website and haven't seen it so far.

Does anyone know when it will actually be released?

Hmmm I bet the release has been pushed back. It's almost April 11, still nothing on the site. Checking their ftp site also, there's nothing there.

I had this event on my calendar that's how I remembered wink Can't trust those vendors really, I mean what's up with these vendors, they knew Win2k was coming didn't they?

No sh#t

Win2k was in beta so long that I don't think any company has an excuse for not being ready with patches,drivers,etc. Just shows how a company would rather spend money later (after year end) rather than keeping its customers happy! Oh well

According to McAfee:

"Microsoft Corporation has only recently released the information that we need in order to adjust our products for compatibility." -- Taken from McAfee's website...

It seems that you should blame Microsoft... _again_ =)

Sounds like bollocks to me...the SDKs for W2K have been available for each milestone release on the same day...

Here is a reply I got from Powerquest today:

Evan,

Thank you for contacting us. There was a delay in release of the PartitionMagic 5.01 patch. The patch will be available by April 19th.

Thank you,

Karen

PowerQuest Customer Service

PO Box 1911

Orem UT 84059-1911

Phone: (800)379-2566

Fax: (801)226-3005

BOGUS

http://www.powerquest.com/press/release00/PM/Mar21_2000.html

It looks to me like the only thing this update will allow you to do is create the boot floppies. The boot floppy creation is the last step of installation, which occurs after the windows install. 5.0 won't install on 2000. They created this to bypass the windows install and take you directly to the floppy creation which you never got to before unless you used 9x/NT. If you already created the floppies on another OS, this will do nothing for you. Can anybody please tell me I got this wrong.

You can create the floppies under W2K. Run the Autorun.exe, choose Technical Support or something similar and then there's an option to make the floppies. Unfortunately they won't boot, so you need a DOS/Win98 boot disk to boot to the command prompt, and THEN run autoexec.bat on the PM floppy #1, or I guess just running whatever program you need on the floppy should work, since autoexec.bat didn't load much of anything that I could see.

O.k. that is a good workaround if you don't already have the floppies. Luckily, I had them before I had Win2000. What I meant is, this doesn't seem to have the native support in Windows 2000 like it did for NT. So what is the point. As far as I'm concerned Powerquest didn't even do anything.

Also, I agree with Rudy on booting from the floppies. You can basically discard the first floppy disk. I have had plenty of success booting from a win98 boot disk and then using pqmagic disk #2.

Thanks for the link J_Pro

I can't believe they aren't going to allow a full install in Win2k.

The heading of that press release says "PowerQuest's award-winning partitioning software adds partition manipulation under Windows 2000 Professional"

Sounds a little misleading to me!

r0cko "this not warez site"

[This message has been edited by SHS (edited 14 April 2000).]