Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CooMarlin

ATX shutdown in Win2K?

I've got a standard Supermicro mid-tower ATX case that turns itself off when win98 shuts down. Shouldn't it do the same with win2K? When I shutdown win2K I get the "It is now safe to turn off your PC", but I have to manually hit the power key on the case. What makes it even worse is that I have to hold the key down for 4 or 5 seconds and it ends up rebooting instead of shutting down. What gives? Doesn't the ATX shutdown work in win2K?

I am so glad I got to reply first to this. I was going to make the same post as you, myself. Everybody is going to tell you to go into your power settings and enable power mangement or ACPI. Let's say you already did that. It still may not work. I can powerdown in NT4, yes NT4 and Win98 but not 2000 with an ASUS TX97-X and the bios says "ACPI bios" when I power up. Stick that in a pipe and smoke it.

Here's the setting I was speaking of. I posted it before on another thread.

APM.jpg

Hey guys, are you using the SB Live! ??

I had the same problem until i installed the correct drivers (new SB liveware for win2k).

Now i can shut down correctly and even use hibernate mode!

I'll try the Advanced Power Management fix. And no I'm not using a sound blaster live soundscard. I'm using an MX300. Thanks.

Here's my story....I had soft-off working fine with my BH6 (NV bios from Nov99). Installed the MS Hot-Fix for 2K and no more sof-off. I would get the saving settings and then the Shutting Down system message boxes then just the Blue background screen with my cursor. Nothing would respond, not the keyboard not the mouse, I would have to manually turn the power off. Well yesterday I uninstalled the Hot-Fix and whamo everythings back to running correctly, shutting down now powers off. I don't see how the Hot-Fix would affect APM but something sure did. Anyone got ideas?

Here's my story....I had soft-off working fine with my BH6 (NV bios from Nov99). Installed the MS Hot-Fix for 2K and no more sof-off. I would get the saving settings and then the Shutting Down system message boxes then just the Blue background screen with my cursor. Nothing would respond, not the keyboard not the mouse, I would have to manually turn the power off. Well yesterday I uninstalled the Hot-Fix and whamo everythings back to running correctly, shutting down now powers off. I don't see how the Hot-Fix would affect APM but something sure did. Anyone got ideas?

updAte your BH-6 to the latest beat NQ bios from abit's ftp site; it's officially win2k acpi compatible

MY STORY

I DID A CLEAN INSTALL OF W2K AND PRESSED (F5) INSTALLED IT AS ACPI SYSEM...

"MUST BE XMAS I THOUGHT "NOT"

I HAD (STANBY HIBERNATE SHUTDOWN) & IT ALL WORKED PERFECTLY

EXCEPT I HAD LOST MY COM PORTS "BUGGER"

SO IF ANY KNOWS HOW I CAN GET THEM TO WORK IM ALL EARS..

SYSTEM CONFIG.

THIS BOARD DOES SUPPORT (ACPI)

M/B ATX FIC PA2013 REV 2.0 + LATEST BIOS

AMD K62/300

VIPER 550 AGP+TV/OUT NVIDIA 5.13 BETA DRIVERS

64MB RAM

HDD1= FUJITSU 4.3

CD/R CREATIVE 32X

HDD2= W/D 2.1

CD/RW PHILIPS 6X2X2

REALTEK PCI NETWORK CARD

AWE64 ISA SOUND CARD

What's this thing with hiting F5 during installation? When exactly a my suppoused to hit F5?

I have the following problem:

when I reboot/shutdown my computer locks itself when it's suppoused to reboot/shutdown. I do not have the "APM" feature in my Power Options Properties...

yea what does F5 do? what options are there with that? i tried it and only saw SGI or standard nothing about ACPI.