Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Loc

Any *working* firewalls for Win2k yet??

I've have tried numerous NT firewalls, but none of them seem to install on Win2k, anyone know of a firewall which DOES work with win2k?

Ta, Loc

The latest version of Zone Alarm works great. Go to www.zonelabs.com and get it there.

------------------

Shrink

92% of the things we worry about don't happen - but the other 8% DO!

PIII 450@504

Soltek SL67B Mobo with 128 mb pc100

20 gig Quantum KX 8 gig Quantum CR

SBlive Value

Voodooo3 3000 AGP

... and a bunch of USB Stuff

Windows 2000 Pro Retail

Very nice prog indeed, ta for bringing it to my attention!! AND its free too!!

Thanks Shrink!

--Loc

how can such an awesome program be free?? life is good! : )

Life IS good! I'll add a vote for Zone Alarm!

Of course, I would like to be able to block specific ports and disallow specific types of traffic, but for a free prog, Zone Alarm is very very nice....

------------------

*gniltrohc yawa srednaw*

The main nice feature of ZoneAlarm is how user friendly it is. Due to a hacker on my parents PC, I was forced to install a firewall on their computer. Normally, this would be a daunting task for people who have difficulty installing software when all that is required is to keep hitting "Next". It's amazing that it can be so useful, yet my parents can still manage to use it without having to phone for help every 10 seconds.

It may not be the best firewall, but it is certainly the easiest to setup and use.

[This message has been edited by DFB (edited 09 March 2000).]

Has anyone use a program called Black Ice?

It is supposed to be pretty good...I'll be getting cable shortly, and with the always on internet, I have started looking around for such programs....

------------------

-AciD

>-----------------------<

Hardware:

BP6 running QQ Beta BIOS

Dual Celeron 366 @ 566MHZ

128MB Samsung -GL

IBM UDMA66 13.6g

WDC UDMA33 5.1g

Toshiba 32x

OTI Socrates 2x2x6x

V3-2000-AGP clocked @ 166

SB AWE64 Value

Hayes V90 Int. Spk Phone

>-----------------------<

Software:

Win2K Pro Retail (2195)

Office 2000 Premium

NA ViruScan NT 4.03a

Mobo Monitor 4.10

BlackICE is good too, just that it doesn't support W2k yet (only hack detection no filtering/blocking), that's why i switched to Zonealarm, which is just as good but w2k compatible.

Well one thing ZoneAlarm has over Black Ice is that it controls information sent from your computer rather than just people trying to get in.

Great program indeed, however if you are running services like ftp or http servers, you might find that users sometimes have problem connecting and staying connected to your server. I have smile

------------------

---Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.---

Pentium II 450@504 4.5X112

128MB PC100 SDRAM

Diamond Viper V770 Ultra

Sound Blaster Live! Value

Seagate 13.6 Gig 7200RPM ATA/66

Western Digital 13.4 Gig 7200RPM ATA/66

Quantum 8.3 Gig

36X Acer CD Rom

Viewsonic PS790 19" Sweet as Heck Monitor

3Com NIC

Lexmark 5700 Printer

I never have problems staying connected, only when you arent running zonealarm and you are connected to an ftp or irc for instance will it disconnect you when you initialise the program. Other then that, if you just put it in the start-up group everything works fine (cept gamespy, but that is understandable).

--Loc

I use a program from www.tinysoftware.com called Winroute Pro 4.01.

Now its not just a firewall though. Its a DHCP, DNS, NAT Router etc... So its not *CHEAP* too purchase. But it does have very good PORT Closing, and makes using the Internet on Home LANS (Where file and print sharing would be used on TCP/IP) much safer.

But it does now run on W2K. So, if your feeling a little bit naughty, and would like a full featured NAT Router with Firewall, download the evaulation package and search some warz newsgroups for a serial number.

After you have installed your firewall (whichever one you start to use) go to www.grc.com and follow the links for shields up to see how many of your ports are open for all to see...!!!!

Mickbench

This may be a little off topic but doesnt a port require a program on it to be open? Meaning if I have disabled netbios for tcp-ip and file and printer sharing and I dont have any open ports there isnt really a reason to have a firewall is there?

Hi, my info is as follows:

Win2k Final Retail

IE 5.0

Celeron 450 192 Mb RAM

Zone Alarm 2.0.26

I am having problems setting up Zone for my ICS over my network, Zone keeps blocking any internet requests from my other computer using the internet through ICS. I have a cable modem connection. My computer's LAN ip is 192.168.0.1 and the others (running 98) is 192.168.0.2. How might I configure Zone Alarm so that this computer allows my windows 98 computer to surf the internet and download mail?

Thanks,

SpaceY

Zone Alarm does not support ICS :-( That is what the problem is. I would use Sygate for that purpose - it does ICS and firewall and is compatible with Windows 2000.

------------------

Shrink

PIII 450@504

SBlive Value

Voodooo3 3000 AGP

Windows 2000 Pro Retail

are you sure? it says on their webpage that it indeed does... i mailed them but haven't gotten a response yet

Shrink, cant you tell zonealarm to "trust" sygate? I think you can set it at server with access and server rights to internet, so it shouldnt block the traffic then?

Try it...but i might be wrong, but then i dont use sygate =)

--Loc

Good question! I would check the grc.com news server in the shieldsup newsgroup and see if anybody there can answer this. Zone labs frequents that newsgroup and the president of the company often answers technical questions. Good luck :-)

------------------

Shrink

PIII 450@504

SBlive Value

Voodooo3 3000 AGP

Windows 2000 Pro Retail