Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
sheared

RAS Help or Suggestion

Has anyone here had problems setting up their RAS connection in W2K? I've got three accounts I have to set up:

1. US West DSL (waiting on drivers for 605)

2. Wife's school account (University of Colorado)

3. Company's ISP

I've setup and successfully run with the company ISP, but I can not for the life of me get my wife's account to work correctly. I either get incredibly BAD connections with numerous DNS errors, or the connection quickly disconnects after connecting. I've copied the parameters that I use in NT 4.0 pretty much word for word (or check box to check box), and it continues to have no effect. I can connect in NT 4.0 with absolutely no problems.

Is there some hidden new item that W2K has that could be causing problems here? I've deselected the multi-link for single link connections item, but that's about all I can find. I get the following error in the event viewer:

"The DNS Client service could not contact any DNS servers for a repeated number of attempts. For the next 30 seconds the DNS Client service will not use the network to avoid further network performance problems. It will resume its normal behavior after that. If this problem persists, verify your TCP/IP configuration, specifically check that you have a preferred (and possibly an alternate) DNS server configured. If the problem continues, verify network conditions to these DNS servers or contact your network administrator."

But I've tried to let it automatically assign the DNS, and I've manually entered the DNS into the appropriate spots (which is what I do in NT 4.0) (and I've tripple checked the numbers I'm entering).

I would suspect modem drivers (I've got a Zoom 56K PCI modem that was detected with the Windows 95/98 drivers - before it was only listed as an Unknown Modem), but I get great connections over the company ISP using pretty much the default W2K settings.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'd certainly appreciate it.