Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
tpunder

Clean Install vs. Upgrading Win98

Not sure if this topic has been addressed before or not.

Just wondering if you lose any stablilty upgrading Windows98 vs. doing a clean install of Win2000.

As a general rule, upgrades are not usually a good idea, if at all possible do an install. Especially moving from Windows 98 (8-bit dos based or is that 16?) to a Windows NT kernel (32-bit) is gonna be problamatic. That being said, it has been done before and some people have gone through the upgrade succesfully. However, again, if u can, do a fresh install.

Cheers,

Steve

ok.

I was just wondering if its worth the trouble to go back and do a clean install or not. Maybe I'll go back and do that once I buy the retail version of it.

It is always better to do a clean install instead of an upgrade, I did both and found clean install didnot give me any problem. facts:

upgrade from win98 ends up my modem is gone, but clean install w2k found my modem without problem.

upgrade from win98, my program list in start menu plus favorites in IE5 will only show my recently used or visited program or sites but clean install this function is gone??

anyone knows how to re-enable this ??

cheers

To disable enable personalized menus go to

tools/internet options/advanced/use personalized menus. The reason your modem was gone was most liekly due the the 9x drivers it was using. All you needed to do was readd it. Did you find any stability issues wqith the upgrade?

enable personalized menus doesn't bring that function back, you know when u click start/program and it only show the ones that u recently use, I wish that function came back. I did a clean install of 98 without adding any program or drivers and then install w2k upgrade. the upgrade seems smooth but I was able to do celeron 366 @550 with 2.1v stable under NT 4.0, 2.0v with 98, with w2k, i have to drop to 98x5.5 @2.1v to be stable

other than this everything seems ok.

I did an upgrade install, for the faint of heart, upgrade install is not for you. I'm a heavy tweaker, found out winboost2k and powertweak didnt work frown...even still powertweak is supposedly "win2k compatible" it crashes when i start. OK heres the scoop, first run win2k install, it'll tell ya what will and wont work. Check back here for support. NEXT run disk defreagger and all that twek goodness. Install win2k, and deal with the TONS of problems, took me a week to get win2k werking with my system

My concerns is two things when I upgrade win98 to win2k iam a heavy tweaker, sad to hear that Winboost2k doenst work with nt5 ):

my other concern is that my Lexmark 3200 printer doesn't work with newer version of win2k, there a way to beat it?

I got 3 versions to play with

I would upgrade my computer... since its been a year since I formatted

also I worry bout my games

like tribes, unreal, freespace2, q2, and quake3 all installed on my computer now, and run perfectly

All I want really from win2k is the tool bar and the special affects.

I used Norton 2k and mem turbo which will hopefully work good in win2k,

been checking the list for which applications work and which don't

I also got a voodoo2 8 mg which they say it works

but in 3dfx?

or just opengl?

but I may wait a lil more before upgrading

I do have the recent release of windows mill also, is it just hyped up and butch of more garage added?

I seen the the installed os takes twice as much room, worth it?

Have u found a way around the winboost?

Any suggestions or comments are appreciated

Thanks

KaSzo ( Daniel )

Things to keep in mind while upgrading:

#1. How good of a system admin are you? Can you pull all your cards and put them back in with your eyes close? If you answered yes then you should format change the drive to NTFS and go from there.

#2. Do you run a lot of 9x programs? (Look in the readme to see a list of supported OSes) 9x programs are like the norton suite of programs like diskdoctor and speedisk. If you run a lot of 9x programs wait for WinMillenium

#3. Are you a gamer? If yes, then upgrade to Win2k using a clean install. Also make sure you have a list off all the cards in your computer too so you can check for drivers/hacks.

#4. Do you own a store bought box with integrated cards and Combocards(like having your modem soundcard and vid card on one board. Yes I have actually seen a computer with close to that). If you do then wait for millenium.

The ThC guide to upgrading smile