Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
JosefTor

Networking between win2000 and win98?

Hi guys. When I try to network from my machine running windows 2000 2195 to my dad's machine running windows 98 why does networking run so slow when I double click on his machine in the network neighborhood? Once I get in the C: though and I am browsing his folders it runs fast again. This is really bothering me because he is the server machine for my internet connection and I am the client machine and my connection isn't working because it times out before I establish a connection. There must be a better way to network between these two pcs. I know I have all my protocals installed.

yes, i've noticed that too. with my 10baset network it takes awhile to connect but once it does its ok. i personally have my win2k machine as the server so there's no problem at all :P

it cause by half-duplex networks or it Hub is only run at half-duplex

Well I just added a Network place and it is there every time. Because it took forever to connect. I tested it by turning the computer off (and the other) and the second it is up I click on the added network (drive) it is there and never ever takes any time to connect. For me it's alot faster than win98..

Disable TCP/IP netbios helper under services and only have the protocols you need. Any extra will increase access time greatly!

Ya he's right ..

Don't install protocol you don't need.. jsut choose the one you'll need..

I always used Ipx and Tcp/ip.. Works ok.. no prob with 95/98/nt ..

Or maybe, just install Tcp/ip, and give your network card static ip.. like 192.168.0.1 .. faster in some cases.