Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Spankee

Photoshop out of memory

I can't get photoshop 5.0, 5.02, or 5.5 to work on my computer (win2k build 2195). It says:

"There is not enough memory (RAM) to launch photoshop."

That's a photoshop message, not a windows one.

I have 96MB RAM and 256MB swap (on another partition). Surely this is enough? How do I change photoshop's memory usage without being able to start the program?

there are seven problem with photoshop

that one them the other one is cursors

& some plugin so down line.

Did you have any background applications running? Check taskmgr.exe and see if you have enough avaliable memory. Also, try up'ing the vitual memory and reboot. Btw, the latest Photoshop 5.5 may be incompatible. I have use Photoshop 5.01 without problems

------------------

-BeTa2K

I've tried killing everything possible, but to no avail. I suspect photoshop is just lying.

Hmmm... Sounds like I'll just have to use Paint Shop Pro or something. It's not like I really need all the power of photoshop. Anyone know of something that can convert my psp files to something else? I don't care if they are flattened.

Error "...not enough memory (RAM)..." When Starting Photoshop 5.0.x in Windows NT 4.0

Issue

When you start Adobe Photoshop 5.0.x in Windows NT 4.0, Windows returns the error, "Not enough memory (RAM) to launch Photoshop" or "There is not enough memory (RAM) for launching."

Solution

Make sure the virtual memory paging file is on a hard disk partition with available space beyond the maximum size of the paging file. Also, set the Initial Size of the paging file equal to your computer's installed RAM plus 12 MB and the Maximum Size to twice the size of your computer's installed RAM:

1. Exit from all applications.

2. Choose Start > Settings > Control Panel, then double-click System.

3. Write down the amount of RAM listed on the last line on the right side of the dialog box.

4. Click the Performance tab.

5. In the Virtual Memory section, click Change.

6. In the top section of the Virtual Memory dialog box, select each hard disk partition that contains paging files and write down the Space Available under Paging File Size for Selected Drive.

7. Optimize your paging files by doing one or more of the following:

- For each paging file, enter a value in the Initial Size (MB) box equal to the amount of your computer's installed RAM plus 12 MB, and a value in the Maximum Size (MB) box equal to twice the amount of your computer's installed RAM. If you run other memory-intensive applications, you might need to increase the maximum amount for one paging file within the limits of your free hard disk space. Experiment with settings, or contact the manufacturers of you other applications' for their virtual memory requirements. Click Set, then click OK.

- If you have one paging file on a hard disk with little available space beyond the maximum size of the paging file, create more space on that hard disk, move the paging file to a hard disk with more open space on it, or reduce the maximum size of the paging file and create another paging file on another hard disk with more free space.

- If you already have several paging files on different hard disks, one of the paging files needs more space than it currently has. Eliminate the paging files on all disks except the one with the most free space. Or, keep more than one paging file, but eliminate those on the disk with less free space.

NOTE: For best performance, choose a different hard disk than those used for the Photoshop scratch disks or adjust Photoshop's scratch disk locations (see Additional Information for details) after you change Windows' virtual memory.

To remove a paging file:

1. Select a disk that contains a paging file you wish to remove.

2. Delete the number in the Initial Size (MB) box.

3. Delete the number in the Maximum Size (MB) box.

4. Click Set, then click OK.

5. Click OK to close the System Properties dialog box.

6. Restart Windows by clicking Yes in the System Settings Change dialog box.

Additional Information

A paging file is the space Windows NT uses for virtual memory. When the amount of space given to Windows NT paging files is too low, Photoshop will not start. Assigning a paging file to a hard disk partition with just enough space to hold the paging file at its maximum amount might also cause an error to occur.

To change Photoshop's scratch disk settings, choose File > Preferences > Plug-Ins & Scratch Disks. For the primary scratch disk, specify a hard disk partition that has free disk space equal to at least three to five times the file size of the image (or at least ten times the size of bitmap mode images) and then specify a second, third, and fourth scratch disk if your hard disk has enough free space. Each disk you choose must be different than the disk you select for Windows paging file.

Photoshop uses a scratch disk file (i.e., temporary disk space used for storing data and performing computations) when there is insufficient RAM for image editing. Although the scratch disk files have a limit of 2 GB each, Photoshop 5.0.x can write as many scratch disks per partition as there is free disk space: If you have 5 GB of free disk space on an unpartitioned hard disk, and all scratch disks are assigned to it, Photoshop 5.0.x can use up to 5 GB of space in three scratch disk files (2 GB, 2 GB, and 1 GB).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------

-BeTa2K

Aha! I see the light. Thanks BeTa2K.

BeTa2K: "Make sure the virtual memory paging file is on a hard disk partition with available space beyond the maximum size of the paging file. "

I had a little partition of 270MB which the swap space had all to itself. It always worked in win9x, and works for every other program in win2k, but I guess not for photoshop. Reducing the paging file from 256MB to 192MB fixed the problem.