Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
taquinas83

Riven DVD

I have the Riven DVD and have been trying to get it to work on Windows 2000 for about a week. It installs without any errors, but then when I try to run it the disc spins and nothing happens. Microsoft says that it is supported on the Compatibility List but I guess that's only the normal (cd-rom) version because I have that too and it works fine. Can someone help me.

Teddy

FWIW, here's my experience with Riven DVD in W2K. I tried installing it over a year ago on my W2K notebook. It behaved just as you report. As Microsoft reports, the CD version did work. I got MYST Masterpiece Edition. It worked. I re-installed Riven DVD. It worked! I noticed that the MYST Masterpiece Edition install procedure had a LATER version of Quicktime on it than Riven CD and Riven DVD. My guess is that the later version of Quicktime included with MYST ME may be needed to make Riven work off the DVD. Or it could be something else in the setup procedure, like a registry change, that is responsible for Riven DVD working. Since this happened over a year ago, and I didn't actually make any notes, I am not certain of this, but I believe I had to tell the Riven install routine to NOT install Quicktime.

Just so you know, it is possible to run Riven DVD under W2K. Sorry now that I didn't research it more carefully. You might just try installing a later Quicktime, then re-installing Riven DVD? (I wouldn't go the other way because these games often hardcode the Quicktime location at the time of installation, and Quicktime does change its install location from time-to-time.)

Hope something in my rambling is helpful to you.

Regards,

Jim

BTW, it's a great game. Hope you get to play the DVD version because switching CDs can get to be a bore.

[This message has been edited by jaywallen (edited 05 April 2001).]

Thanks for all the help. I've been trying to get this to work for the past two weeks. I already had the latest version of Quicktime before I installed Riven DVD so I tried uninstalling it and then re-installing Riven and letting it install the version of Quicktime that comes with it. I am know at least able to play the game. The quality isn't that great and every now and then during one of the movies the screen turns completely white, which is annoying to say the least. I tried upgrading Quicktime to see if that helped at all but it just made Riven not work again.

If you have any idea how I can get it to work better please let me know. Hey! I just had a thought. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that in Quicktime 3(version with Riven) the program is called MoviePlayer.exe and in Quicktime 4(newest version) it is called QuickTimePlayer.exe. Maybe if I upgrade and then rename it. Huh, I'll have to check that out.

Thanks,

Teddy

I used the Riven executable from the Riven CD version and it worked fine for me. Also if you run Riven on a dual processor machine you'll need to set the affinity to 1.

If I remember correctly, didn't Riven cd-rom version use Quicktime 2.x? Does the DVD not use this version? Also, for me, with games like MYST and Riven, using the Quicktime version included with the game is always best, becuase newer versions are sometimes incompatible with older games that utilize quicktime. My two cents worth....

Riven cd version use Quicktime 2.1.3

Riven dvd version use Quicktime 3.0

Originally posted by HellishFiend:

Quote:
I just submitted this to be added to the compatibility list but figured I would also post it here. A much easier way of getting the Riven DVD to work with windows 2000 is to use the following patch:

http://amoebasoft.mine.nu/files/rivendvd/

Have fun playing Riven!

Even tho this thread is a bit dated, this is good info for myself as I have the DVD version as well and for some reason couldn't get it to work under 2K/XP either wink

I am a huge myst series fan that just recently acquired the DVD version of Riven, so I scoured the net to find a good way to get it to run on my windows 2000 machine. When I found that site, I just had to spread the word. ^_^

Quote:
I just submitted this to be added to the compatibility list but figured I would also post it here. A much easier way of getting the Riven DVD to work with windows 2000 is to use the following patch:

Have fun playing Riven!

It is great news that this is possible. But the link you've posted is not working. Perhaps the site has been taken down? Can you post the information here explaining how to get the DVD version of Riven to work on Windows 2000?

Thanks!

Originally posted by rivendriven:

Quote:

Quote:

Have fun playing Riven!

It is great news that this is possible. But the link you've posted is not working. Perhaps the site has been taken down? Can you post the information here explaining how to get the DVD version of Riven to work on Windows 2000?

Thanks!

For anyone interested in this patch, the above link doesn't seem to work anymore, but JMMIJO downloaded the patch before the site went down and he sent it to me (thanks again). smile I've installed it and it works great. And now I've posted the patch at the following address:

http://www.imanisystems.com/Riven/RivenDVD-QuickTime2-patch.zip

Enjoy laugh

UPDATE:

I just picked up the Myst 10th Anniversary DVD Edition from CompUSA last week. It was only $20(USD) and came with updated versions of Myst, Riven and Exile on three separate DVD's. Ubisoft updated each one to play properly on XP. However, I did have to adjust the compatibility mode with Riven to Windows 98/ME and it worked flawlessly with Quicktime 6.5.xx installed.

The collection comes with QT 6.3 so if you have not updated to that version then you can do so.

Also the making of for each title is included too wink