Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
miku

Good News! Compatibility Modes in Win2k

With the March Updates, Microsoft has added Compatibility modes for win2k as they are in whistler.

There you go! Every other game and application would be working in Win2k.

Miku

Yea, i noticed that last night when setting up a link for Diablo II... I wonder if it really makes a difference? Has anyone been testing this or seen any other posted on this subject?

- FUnkYmUnky

I tried the new Win98 compatibility mode option on Thief (original w/ patch 1.33). All I got was a black screen, so I went back to running without compatibility mode, which works slow but otherwise fine (under DX 7 only, not DX 8 because it crashes!). Later, I'll give it a try on Alpha Centauri and Dungeon Keeper 2.

...assuming that this new option is backwards compatible with previous compatibility fixes....

???

Thief & Dungeon Keeper 2 & Alpha Centauri run fine in Windows 2000...... or are you not patching the games and/or not use compatiblity updates?

Game compatibility my a$$.

I tried it out with FIFA 2001 and set it to Windows 98 (Was the only game I had installed at the time after reinstalling), and it broke support for my MS Sidewinder joypad.

Took it off, and it worked fine.

Make of that what you will...

Homer

umm if the game ran fine without compatiability modes then why turn them on??

I decided to install Half-Life / Counterstrike after the latest appupd. And it returned the message, HL needs service pack 3 or later. So I ran it in NTSP6 compatibility mode, seeing as I have dual cpus. Would running it in Win98 Compatibility have any difference?

I will try it later on, but I was just wondering if anybody had tried it.

Yes, I know DK2, Thief, and Alpha Centauri generally work fine under Win2K - that's why they are still on my system! I was just seeing what compatibility mode would do for them.

Thief does suffer from stuttering sound and occasionally drops to the desktop. These problems can be solved by dropping the sound quality and defragging every few days. Alpha Centauri will not run after installing Alien Crossfire. This can be solved by playing the games one at a time or by getting the no-CD crack.

So, in short, I was hoping the compatibility mode would offer a quick fix, but it didn't. I guess I'll search for some games that do not run at all to use as test subjects.

Regards,

Brad

The only game I had that I could not get to work under Windows 2000 Professional at all was Slave Zero, and I got rid of that game long ago.

I guess I am saying that I do not plan to try the compatibility modes.

:-)

How do you use the new compatability modes I have been trying to get Rainbow Six working and despite installing the act.exe package and using windows update to update the computer it still doesnt work just says "Sorry not surported on NT"

Thanks Sorry for sounding dumb

------------------

Donald Marshall

www.deltaforcecommand.org.uk

For all your Map Making Needs

www.specialforcesgames.co.uk

For all your Special Forces Game Needs

err call me thick but i have service packs 1 & 2. and i dont see any new compatibility modes in windows 2000. Were do i set these modes?

I don't see any tab, my understanding is you just download the update and away you go with the appfix's included. Microsoft list all the games they support with appfix's and if your game is on the list it should run. I don't understnad this whole tab thing you say you get with Microsoft's application compatibility updates.

Yeah, that's the way all of the previous patches have worked, but with the March 2001 update, they added that compatibility tab thingy. The only thing I can think of is that they removed it again for some reason (Microsoft is well known for doing things like that).

In case you don't believe me, go to http://www.ntcompatible.com/ubb/Forum2/HTML/001671.html where others have reported on this compatibility mode also.

--

Xiven

Got it I know have the tab, after 3 reboot's frown howwever when i went to run Rainbow Six I recieved an error message saying "Rainbow.exe has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down"

Any ideas I set the compatability to Win98.

------------------

Donald Marshall

www.deltaforcecommand.org.uk

For all your Map Making Needs

www.specialforcesgames.co.uk

For all your Special Forces Game Needs

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by donald:
...when i went to run Rainbow Six I recieved an error message saying "Rainbow.exe has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down"
</font>

Same thing for me with several games. Tried NBA Live 2000 (messed up graphics with win2k), Need for Speed - Porsche Unleashed (don't like having to use a crack), and also Constructor (wouldn't install). The last game would install finally under Win2k using the compatability tab on the shortcut but won't play.

BUT, Falcon 4 plays fine now without the crash to the desktop after a mission. Don't have to patch it etc. to get it to run now.

Ed