Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
kingtrey

anyone tried DirectX 8.0a?

i was wondering if anybody out there, mainly those with GeForce 2's, have tried the new release of DirectX 8.0a ... if you haven't already heard about it, you can get it at www.3dspotlight.com (there is a link there) i was just wondering if it improves anything, thanks!

It is only for internation versions of 2k. it has no performance increase, (at least thats what the article said).

I just did a benchmark, I got better marks with 8.0a

DX 8.0 on a RivaTNT 16 MB PCI and 6.49 drivers = 1823 Marks

DX 8.0a on the same thing = 2052 marks

and I never caught it at a good time or anything, cuz I redid the test once more thinking that was wrong and it give me like 2047 or something. So it's better here.

[This message has been edited by jdulmage (edited 26 January 2001).]

your the second person to say that. I heard earlier today that it increased speed too. Could it be that MS is ashamed to adminit it f-ed up 8 so it tucked a backdoor fix into 8a?

How did it f*ck up on 8?

When I installed it, my benchmark scores went up by 1700 points.

------------------

My PC is warm. I think our fire wall is acting up.

ive only installed it in win98SE, and it seems pretty much the same as b4..

not installed it in win2k cos i dont use win2k for games :P

I heard it fixes the W2K AGP running at PCI speed bug. I have had it installed since it came out with no game problems and I had a 1500 3dmark improvement.

Could someone use dxdiag and find out what the version number of DirectX 8.0a is? I tried installing it, but it kept telling me I had 4.08.00.0400, which is what it was before, I think.

Anyway, I did a MadOnion test before and after I installed DX8a, and it was the same.

Thanks.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I heard it fixes the W2K AGP running at PCI speed bug. I have had it installed since it came out with no game problems and I had a 1500 3dmark improvement.</font>

AGP texture support is not available in my system (It only works with detonator 7 dx8 enabled drivers).

So far, I've just found 2d performace is slightly better.

I have installed 3d Mark 2000 v1.1 and ran the benchmark. I scored 4865 with DX8 and 4845 in DX8a.

DXDiag reports "DirectX Version: DirectX 8.0 (4.08.00.0400)" even after DX8a installtion?

I have compared file versions to my other PC, which still has DX8 installed.

DX8..

ddraw.dll: 5.01.2258.0400 English Final Retail 11/3/2000 14:35:22 256000 bytes

d3d8.dll: 5.01.2258.0400 English Final Retail 11/3/2000 14:35:22 1036288 bytes

DX8a..

DirectX Components

------------------

ddraw.dll: 5.01.2258.0400 English Final Retail 11/7/2000 15:16:46 282624 bytes

d3d8.dll: 5.01.2258.0400 English Final Retail 11/7/2000 15:16:46 1057280 bytes

As you can see, only the date of the files has changed, but the build number hasn't..

Running Win2k Pro + SP1 + Athlon 900 with Geforce 2MX/Agp4x+Fastwrites.

Joe.

I experienced something when I installed directx8A over the first dx8. When I start Half-Life the menu doesnt go fullscreen. But when I enters a server and the console pops up (LOADING screen) it goes fullscreen. When I dissconnect or jump back to the menu the desktop is suddenly 1024 and half-life is in a window again. Strange.

Any way to uninstall dx8a?

hahaha.

if you bothered to look, it shows .400 files and SOME .700 files and some .436 files. The ones that are greater than 400 are the files that are new.

Plus, I just finished installing Half-Life and getting all of the updates, it runs fine.

whoa whoa whoa, wait a minute, i just ran 3dmark 2k v1.1 on my system, here's what i got and its very strange and low.

Intel Celeron 667 overclocked

640MB pc133 cas2

Hercules 3d Prophet II Ultra

@750MHz: 2491 3dmarks

@830MHz: 2713 3dmarks

@1.1GHz: 3167 3dmarks

Now, shouldn't i be getting in the 5000's at least????!??!!??! Need Help.

btw, i have win2k on acpi pc instead of standard pc, does that matter? running dx7.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Galilee:
I experienced something when I installed directx8A over the first dx8. When I start Half-Life the menu doesnt go fullscreen. But when I enters a server and the console pops up (LOADING screen) it goes fullscreen. When I dissconnect or jump back to the menu the desktop is suddenly 1024 and half-life is in a window again. Strange.
Any way to uninstall dx8a?
</font>

I located my problem. It was not dx8a but SP2beta. I removed the service pack and CS was fine again smile The moral: Always do a backup when you install the service packs.

It was mainly released for Win2K (International Versions) and it helps with ppl having Direct Input Problems ie: users who lost their pad button mappings after upgrading from DX7 to DX8.

It also solves major issues and adds support for DV Camcorders which previously gave alot of users trouble.

There doesn't seem to be any performance increase with DirectDraw or Direct3D.

Hope that helps.

If it smells the same and looks the same and sounds the same it is the same...

there is no difference between v8 and 8.0a except compatibility and driver update for newer cards processors.

And if anybody is interested I can send you a 600 Page white paper about Fooling Benchmark, how unreliable they are etc..

If a CPU/GPU has a certain MIPS capacity you can not exceed it no matter what you do including overclocking, new drivers etc. It is the number of Transistirs in there and how they are wired smile.gif

Sorry to shatter your fantasy's Guys

Uykucu