Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DosFreak

My list of NTCompatible games

Four and Twenty........

imtim83................

DosFreak...............

Got a post from someone who had the exact same problem on similar equipment. Says he/she found the problem was related to DirectX, and that I should make certain I am using 8.0a and not 9.0. But, since he/she couldn't tell me how to determine what DirectX I was using currently, it was suggested that I simply download 8.0a from download.com and reload it over whatever version I am using now.

Make any sense to you?

DosFreak................

"....something wrong with your config." Game config? PC config? Any best guess would be appreciated.

SnapperOne

The latest official Directx ver is 8.0a

The latest leaked ver is Directx ver 8.1 Build 648

I doubt upgrading to a newer DX ver will solve your prob tho because Warzone 2100 is not a DX 8 game but whatheheck give it a shot. Couldn't hurt. smile

DosFreak.........

Yep! Guess you are right. Looks like we have arrived at the "what the heck" part of this pesky problem. Sooooooo, I've decided to first download NVidia drivers 6.34, then 6.50, then 7.58 to see if any of these solve the problem. Already know 12.20 didn't. Then, if no improvement, I'll load the newer DirectX version.

Catch you again sometime.

SnapperOne

DosFreak just curious are you going to windows xp when it comes out?

i know i am not staying with win2k pro.

Thanks

Yes but it will likely still be buggy so I'll have my 2k/Xp dual-boot. smile

I found a game that don't work with windows 2000...

Supreme Snowboarding or Boarder Zone (same game)

Error message at startup and nothing more...

that is for the retail version (even with the latest patche) and worst in this story...the demo version works...hehe

SneakX i hate when the demo works and the one you buy doesnt. I guess demos are more compat. or something. But i guess that is the chance you take or just play the demo lol

The heck is that the game has been launched before windows 2000 and i think the demo was after...hehe

that's truly sucks, this game is so great smirk

Awwwww..Tried to post the latest ver of my list but it's to long for the board! LOL!

303 games work in Windows 2000

24 don't.

:P :p

SB Live! Plat 5.1

Bought a Herc XP couple days ago. Should be here today/tommorow. Gonna test that out.

DosFreak what mobo is it on ? DosFreak think you will buy another sound blaster sound card? i am thinking about getting a Santa Cruz not sure about the Santa Cruz with drivers. So far Santa Cruz seems to be best updated with drivers the fastest. But not sure. I may be wrong. But i dont think i will get a SBlive but not sure yet.

I have this card, and I can't fault it. No crackles, fizzles, pops, all eax 1 & 2, a3d, sensaura sounds are kickass.

Fuggin gr8 being able to play games with my sound on, unlike my old SBLive card.

My specs (so you know if its compatible with your system) >

Asus CUV4X-D (Bios 1010)

Dual PIII 1 ghz @133

1Gb PC133 SDRam

2 x 75GXP 30.7GB IBM Deskstar ATA100

Hercules GTXP (2.02 Drivers)

Gef 2 GTS Pro 32MB DDR (nvidia ref) 12.90 dets

Yamaha 8424sz int SCSI CDRW

Adaptec int ScSI card

Acer 52x CDRom

Pioneer 16x DVD A05s

iiyama VM Pro 450 19"

MS Intellimouse Explorer USB

MS Sidewinder FF Pro2 USB

MS Sidewinder Gamepad Pro 2 USB

MS Internet Pro KB

USR 56k V.90 Voice/Fax Ext Modem

RatzPad smile

400W PSU

Direct X 8.1 beta

Dual booting Win98se & W2k Sp1, Sp2 (all critical updates) I.E 5.5 sp1 and updates.

Hi DosFreak,

I hope you can help me. I want to play the game "Mad TV". Everything ist working fine under Windows 2000 (I have no sound, but the sound is not important), except the mouse. I'm using a IntelliEye Explorer Mouse. I tried it on the PS/2 port and on USB, I already tried it with an older mouse at the com port, but the only thing that works is klicking the mouse button, but it does not move.

Waiting for your answer (full of hope)

Ghostwriter

Any luck with Transport Tycoon Deluxe Windows95 edition? Mine says it can't access the registry even if I use qfixapp.

Great Work and effort everyone. Keep up the good work. Here's some additional items that work under windows 2000. The ones followed by a (P/W) mean that you may need to mess with a shortcut (compatibility), apply a patch of some sort, or use a workaround. The ones followed by an (N) are "supposedly" NT native and they should work normally without any special set up.

Myst (P/W)

Mortal Kombat 4 (N)

Monster Truck Madness I (N)

Monster Truck Madness II (N)

Jedi Knight (N)

GrimFandango (P/w)

RoadRash (N)

Beetle Crazy Cup (Beetle Buggin) (P/W)

Command and Conquer: RedAlert (P/W)

Command and Conquer: RedAlert 2 (N)

Note: This list is CONSTANTLY UPDATED on ntcompatible.com. Please visit their Windows 2000 game compatibility section. I would provide a direct link, but I don't know if I am permitted or allowed to fo that (sorry).

Here's another set:

MAX PAYNE

ROGUE SPEAR AND EXPANSION PACKS

OPERATION FLASHPOINT

ALIEN VS PREDATOR

SERIOUS SAM

GIANTS : CITIZEN KABUTO

UNDYING

TRIBES 2

TRIBES

More on the way

Why would you post new games in the list? I think that 99% of new games work fine on win2k, except those made by no-name companies which you would never play anyways.

Bump

Refer to post #1

I updated my list again.

331 games work in Windows 2000

32 don't

DosFreak do you think Windows XP will really improve anything in game Compatibility ? I am not going to Windows XP but i am wondering if it even will because i can just see it now with people complaining that there older games dont work or something on Windows XP. But with the games that don't work on my windows 2000 i just don't play them and thinks its worth it because i hate dual booting 98. Plus i already got tired of those games that wont work on 2000 anyway so its not a huge lost. I also think you got to give up something for stabilty and i think its well worth to give up some game Compatibility for stabilty.

One more thing have you tried a lot of EA sports games lately and have most of them worked or did they give you problems ?

Because i am still thinking EA still doesnt have windows 2000/XP game Compatibility straight.

As far as DOS games compatibility: XP improves over 2k by provide SB for SFX & General MIDI for sound. It's sound emulation is inferior to VDMSound's however. BUT Windows XP's NTVDM has been enhanced in XP so that BUILD (Duke3d, Shadow Warrior) engine games can play SFX. Sadly these games do not work with SFX in NT4/2000 although MIDI does work. Vlad and I are looking into it but I don't expect much.

As for Windows Compatibility: Windows 2000 & Windows XP are the same in that area but Windows XP is where Microsoft will focus it's Application Compatibility Updates on. The updates are backwards compatibility with Windows 2000 but I don't expect Microsoft to release as many updates for 2000 as they do for XP. The hacks will have to remain unofficial for me to hack! smile

DosFreak ok well thanks doesnt sound like windows xp has much more for me sense i really dont play dos games. I am sure some games will refuse to work on windows xp. Espically some EA sports games i bet.